TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

70 Javelin Drum Fitment Issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjt17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70 Javelin Drum Fitment Issue
    Posted: Sep/17/2021 at 8:07pm
I have 9 inch front drums and cannot figure out what is wrong here.  The drum is bottomed out on the hub but is not flush to the backing plate. See picture.  Some other details: the front brakes were disassembled like 6 years ago with the idea of converting to disc. We lost tract of the backing plates and drums. We must have removed the drum from the hub and reinstalled the hub. I got bendix 9 backing plates used from Kennedy’s and new everything else. Any ideas??

https://ibb.co/gyS1cBQ -
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2021 at 9:43pm
70 Javelin came with 9" drums? Not 10"?

There are 9 x 2 and 9 x 2.5 front drum systems. Are you sure you have the right parts?

I happen to be working on hopped up (lol) 9 x 2.5 drums for the front of my 1960 American. I have both 9" backing plates on the shelf, they look similar but aren't.

That drum doesn't look fully seated on the hub, but if that's just for the photo and they indeed fit all the way up flush, never mind.

Take the drum off, take some nice square-on photos of the backing plate, and whatever's on it...

and measure the working surface width of the shoes... I Can see that that is a 2.5" drum, as the mounting surface is recessed.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2021 at 10:00pm
The height of the center line of the wheel cylinder pistons, relative to the three flat spots the brake shoe rubs on, is different. Also the post.

9 x 2 backing plate. Where my disembodied finger is (actually well-attached to my hand) is a hump. This and the ribbing distinguishes it from the 9 x 2.5....

9 x 2.5 backing plate. The tell-tale is the large flat area right above the adjuster access holes, no hump here.

Edited by tomj - Sep/17/2021 at 10:04pm

jjt17 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjt17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2021 at 9:06am
Yeah the 6cyl Base model had 9x2.5” drums. 

Thanks!  That could be it. I knew there were two size 9” drums but didn’t know the backing plates were different. I know one is 2.5” for sure I took it off the car myself.  The other I found in a pile, but Jeff said they were correct. I only had 1 new drum so I didn’t try them both yet. 

Are the backing plates driver and passenger side specific?

I’ll get some pictures when I get back down to the garage. 
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2021 at 5:01pm

The backing plates swap left and right. The front wheel cylinders are side-specific. Some rears are not.

Also my backing plates above are Bendix (the shoes rest directly on the wheel cyl pistons).

FWIW, there's a bunch of 9 x 2.5" Bendix brake photos on my brake web page here. (The brake setup in the photos is now on my '68 American, new drums sine then. I'm duplicating it now for my '60.)

Edited by tomj - Sep/18/2021 at 5:04pm

jjt17 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjt17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2021 at 3:50pm
Ok with tomj's pictures I have confirmed that I have the correct 2.5" front backing plates.  So I am back to another theory that the drum/hub was removed as a unit when we had some work done 7ish years ago.  We think maybe they had a set of either ford or mopar hubs lying around that happen to fit and used them to get the car back to roller status.

So here are the hubs that are on the car, anyone know what these are from? Or have a picture of a 1970 hub from a 6cyl to compare.  From the mount face of the studs to the back is about 2.25" we'd need it to be more like 1.75".  Also notice the notch on the hub face, is that an AMC thing or maybe something else?

https://ibb.cosB70bx -
https://ibb.co/Mn6XXbZ -

jjt17 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjt17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2021 at 4:10pm
Never mind I'm embarrassed.  I had the backing plate behind the spindle.  It goes on top of the spindle.

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2021 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by jjt17 jjt17 wrote:

Never mind I'm embarrassed.  I had the backing plate behind the spindle.  It goes on top of the spindle.

HA! LOL I've done that very thing! It fits just fine! until... yeah. Don't feel bad.  Glad you found it. "Dumb" mistakes are the best mistakes, so easily fixed. Hard problems really suck.

jjt17 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjt17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2021 at 8:04pm
Tomj thanks for your help. It was the pictures from the link to your brake swap that made me see it.  I was like..damn it! But back on track so I’m glad to have figured it out without more headache. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic