TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - '70½ BBG Gremlin begins it's journey to rebirth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'70½ BBG Gremlin begins it's journey to rebirth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2021 at 5:15am
Hey, you could have trailer issues on the way back!  Every great car has some stories behind it.  Crack a cold one once its back in your garage.....
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2021 at 6:05am
Originally posted by mbwicz mbwicz wrote:

Hey, you could have trailer issues on the way back!  Every great car has some stories behind it.  Crack a cold one once its back in your garage.....

ROFL! LOL

Yeah, jinx me why donchya?

Pretty sure if this trailer can lug around excavators and bobcats and all sorts of heavy machinery, the Gremlin will seem like a pimple in comparison.

I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2021 at 10:54am
I would be more worried that the Dodge will make it back :P 
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2021 at 10:42pm
This truck is so big... it drove the same... no trailer, trailer or Gremlin on trailer.  Perfect for a novice tow-person like me.  Gimme credit.... this is only the third (ish?) time I've ever driven pulling a trailer.  And the journey was 3.5 to 4 hours each way over two mountain ranges. Not to mention, Kelowna is NOT a trailer-friendly city and we had to make two left turns.  Thankfully, the whole trip went down as good as could be expected.

Anywho, Gremlin is home.  Would've posted sooner but we had a 24+ hour internet outage.

We had to save shop hours somewhere, so I've got to re-blacken the wheel houses and do a boatload of assembly, but PMC was very kind to attach my wheel opening stainless AND install my new wheels and tires. 

There was a whole debacle loading the car but that's a tale for another time.  Long story short, we got the little turd loaded, cinched down and I still got my Wendy's. LOL

Lots of assembly to do.  BUGS seem to love this color.  Also had a drizzle of rain today before I got home to push the car in the garage. (Battery very low after sitting for 2 months)  I am going to deviate a bit from stock as I have an NOS remote driver side mirror.  Even though I have some minty manual mirrors.... I figure I'll change things up a bit.  Kinda like the look of the remote mirror a bit better.

I love how the single-stage paint turned out.  After polishing it has just enough orange peel to mimic factory paint.  I think the stripes are too glossy but maybe that's how they originally were?? I've never seen an original and only know my faded semi-flat ones.

I wished I'd have had money in the budget to do my bumpers this year but....maybe next year.  I am tapped out now.  Bread & water for the next few months for sure!

Edited by Fluffy73 - Sep/10/2021 at 10:46pm
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2021 at 6:39am
Glad you made it home, the car looks really nice.  It seems nearly impossible to stick to a budget, always difficult choices as the expenses pile up.

Have fun!
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2021 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Fluffy73 Fluffy73 wrote:

It's actually done.  Plan is to go pick it up September 8th.  Owner even said if I bring my wheels and wheel arch trim, they'll put on the trim and wheels gratis.  It's quite funny as the owner has even professed that the car has definitely grown on him and it's garnered a LOT of attention when folks have come in the shop.

New Wheels:

Love the whitewalls!  Very period correct.
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2021 at 1:59am
Originally posted by 73Gremlin401 73Gremlin401 wrote:

Love the whitewalls!  Very period correct.

Exactly what I was going for.  Not only that, for most of the time I've owned the car, she's rolled on Tiger Paws.  Maybe it's my love of cats.... but I just really like Tiger Paw tires.  Gremlin had them, my purple Javelin had them, my Swinger had them.... just a really nice tire.

This is 15 years ago. Chrysler Rallyes, Hornet grille and Tiger Paw white walls! Cool

Edited by Fluffy73 - Sep/13/2021 at 4:12pm
blumontag View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blumontag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2021 at 10:01am
Very nice indeed!  I may have to go for Tiger Paw white sidewalls next time...
72 Gremlin X
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2021 at 5:55pm
A bit slower on reassembly than I'd hoped to be.  I completely forgot about cleaning up some of the interior pieces and repainting the tail lights and grille.   Blame the General Delivery for distracting me!

With the weather not cooperating this weekend, I got started on some interior bits that I could.   Back seat, rear seat side panels, some headliner trim and the door panels.

What a journey it's been for these door panels!! 18 months for SMS to make them and destroy my old ones in the process (they originally said I could have them back, then rescinded on that promise) and then they hung around in my basement since January of 2018.... until finally.... finally I could put them on the car.

Lesson #1 :  Don't trust SMS as to where the screws go on the low part of the panel. 

And yes, that rust peeking through from the inner rocker has been treated (note how shiny it is) it just has not been coated yet.

Driver side panel was a little easier, though I'll admit there was some puckering of the sphincter while cutting the opening for the mirror.  On factory panels, the cut-out is plain to see and perforated for your convenience.  These repops are not so it took some careful measuring and some reassurance from a forum member before I cut the whole opening.

Lesson #2 :  Repop door panels are thicker than OE and therefore, don't "give" as much. While the hole I cut for the new mirror control was spot on, it took several attempts to get the retainer ring on. I'm much more used to door panels that bend and give and wheeze out of the way.  Not these guys!! Had to push in as hard as I could given the circumstances, start half a thread and then quickly grab my needle-nose pliers before the pressure popped the ring off!  On the plus side, it's not going ANYWHERE now. LOL

Never really considered putting a remote mirror on this car, but waaaay back in 2019??? (Whichever year was the last time Portland had their swapmeet) I scored this NOS remote for $20.  I'd since collected all the other bits like the gasket, the bezel inside, etc.  Meh.... why not?  Change the look of the car a little and add a valuable option. 

mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2021 at 6:43pm
Great progress.  Nothing goes easy when reassembling a 50 year old car with repro and old parts.  Love the update.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
  Share Topic