TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - '70½ BBG Gremlin begins it's journey to rebirth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'70½ BBG Gremlin begins it's journey to rebirth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2021 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

Don't get you hopes up to much! We don't call them body shop jails for nothing! I do wish you the best though. Thumbs Up

Patrick the owner is quite confident that he's already given an expectant date of September.  I thought he meant next year and he was adamant:  September this year.  Two things to keep in mind:

#1 It's a small car.

#2 It's really not that rusty.  It's not like I'm going in for floors, or full rockers. Quite the contrary.
Any rust damage has been confined to the windshield rail, the passenger door, the rear wheel arches, the trunk floor below the back window and the back window pinch weld.  All these areas I've donated GOOD sheet metal cut from other cars.  I'm sacrificing two rust free Hornet fenders for my wheel arches.

#3 I shopped around. Other body shops laughed at me, told me to wait years.  I get the impression Patrick is a very good planner.  He even said at the outset of this, if we could get the car in by June/July, he could 100% have it done by end-of-year.

The shop owner even questioned my decision of cutting GOOD, rust free fenders for patch panels! LOL
So, he's a good guy. Cares about cars.

And, the car is 70% original paint. So there's really nothing hiding under there. The only previous collision damage is relegated to the corner of the hood and front passenger fender.

I've seen examples of his work ... dude is an artisan with steel.  So, even if he does have to make a few patch panels, I'm confident in the work he's shown.  I don't know if I'm supposed to say anything but they just completed a project for that Rust Valley Restorers show.

AND, the Gremlin is on deck.  They have to spray a Studebaker that's in the booth.  Finalize a '65 Impala and then paint it, and then it's Gremlin time.

Heck, even if I get it in October, I'd still be freakin' ecstatic!!
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2021 at 8:56pm
This is where a shop like this is better. They don't have 30 cars all apart and collision jobs bumping the que. 

When I had my AMX done the shop was small, didn't do any collision stuff unless it was a hotrod/musclecar. The shop was spotless and had high end equipment. Mine was back in under 2 months, then went back to get the hood and fenders installed after the engine was in place and underhood stuff was installed.
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2021 at 10:38pm
My emotions the last few days have been all over the place.  At times, I feel like a kid just before Christmas.... excited beyond belief.  But then I'm reminded of the cost, and remember, I'm still unemployed!!  Even though my finances are in order, and I've planned for this for almost 10 years and have had money put aside;  it doesn't feel prudent to be spending this amount of money with very little income.

And, it's weird not having the Gremlin at home. It's been my little buddy for half my life.  I'm the poster child for being emotionally invested in inanimate objects. LOL

One minute I want to giggle like a Japanese high school student, the next, deep despair like when Kirk watched from the Genesis planet as the Enterprise disintegrated in the atmosphere.

My God Bones,  What have I done?

mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2021 at 6:10am
Buyers remorse.  If you weren't thinking things over after a major step like this it would be strange.  Like you said, you planned for this (financially and specific to the car).  And its good that its not right around the corner, or you would be stopping by and getting more anxious.  Now you get to do other stuff for a few months.  

Enjoy the process.

Mike
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2021 at 7:56am
It sounds like you found a good shop. I wish you the best of luck.
As far as spending the money in your current state of unemployment, since it sounds like you've planned for this for years and have the money saved, if you don't take the chance at some point, it'll never get done. Another way to look at it is that a completed Gremlin is worth a whole lot more than one that's half torn apart if something would force you to liquidate some assets but I sure hope that doesn't happen.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2021 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

It sounds like you found a good shop. I wish you the best of luck.
As far as spending the money in your current state of unemployment, since it sounds like you've planned for this for years and have the money saved, if you don't take the chance at some point, it'll never get done. Another way to look at it is that a completed Gremlin is worth a whole lot more than one that's half torn apart if something would force you to liquidate some assets but I sure hope that doesn't happen.

I've had a buyer lined up for my Shelby Daytona for over a year now. If the border would open, she could buy it and that would help tremendously.  And as much as I love the car and have wanted one since my larval stage.... I don't *NEED* six cars. I'd rather concentrate on my trio of AMC's.

My cousin Lloyd always sez:  "Take a chance... $hit yer pants."  And that totally describes this situation.
If I wait any longer, the Gremlin may have not been a viable candidate for restoration. Even as it is, a couple of my friends were suggesting maybe I find a more solid shell.  But then.... you're spending money travelling and chances are, another shell will have the same issues.  The funny part is.... from the looks of everything, this car is still wearing it's OE sheet metal.  That's pretty unusual if you ask me

I'm still not 100% convinced this is the Gremlin for me.  To be honest, I'd sort of rather have a '72 or '73.... V8 would be nice.  Power Steering and Brakes would be a definite plus. I've felt more like this cars' care-taker than it's owner.  I've been very protective of it. I've turned down so many offers I couldn't even begin to count.  Many of those offers were from people who didn't care one bit about the cars' significance.  They just wanted to gut it, paint it flat black, stuff a chevy V8 in it and take it dirt-track racing. No sir.  Go get something worthless for that.

An almost all-original Big Bad Green Gremlin is .... unheard of.  It's right up there with BBG Rebel Machines which I think there's only 2 of those.  This car is (to my knowledge) one-of-three. 

I'm fairly certain if there were other BBG Gremlins out there, people would come forward.  You know, this gives me an idea.... I think I should start some kind of registry for Big Bad Cars.  I know of several BBO and BBB Gremlins.... but only the three BBG.

Edited by Fluffy73 - Jul/08/2021 at 8:02pm
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2021 at 4:22pm
Got my first Saturday update from Pacific Muscle Cars yesterday.

So far:

Windshield rail is fixed. Two small patches were all that were required.

Now, in his email he says the passenger door is already done.  But the passenger door is the one that needed some heavy grafting and splicing.  The driver door just needed a crack welded up, so I'm going to assume he meant the driver door is done.

No pictures yet, but he says they've cut into the driver's quarter (the worst side).  The inner house will need some small patches and then they'll just cut the skin that they'll need from the Hornet fenders I provided.

So far, so good.
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2021 at 5:16pm
Since everything is apart, I might as well work on a few things.  One of such items that needed attention were the door cards next to the back seat.  My original ones were warped and the vinyl shrunk so much that they wouldn't even cover the cardboard anymore. So, when I had the seats done, I had the upholsterer do these back side panels as well. However, the same problem reared it's ugly head: the vinyl just would not stay glued to the backing.

I've had this happen before. Sometimes hot glue works.  Sometimes you have to get medieval on this sort of thing.  Do you know what I find works best???  Windshield Butyl.

I should have taken some before pictures. The peeling wasn't all that bad, but as usual, the worst of it was right along the top - right on show for everyone to see.

The vinyl is now stuck nice and tight and shouldn't come loose again.  I imagine there is some heat and/or chemical bonding going on here too as the plastic ruler I used help press the vinyl uniformly got melted in some places.  Couldn't find a wooden ruler to save my life.  But these look great now and I hope I never have to do this sort of thing again!  Although, I do have to come up with something for my interior C-panel inserts as I've gone through two sets now and they both warped terribly.  I'm thinking of having some made out of hardboard and then having them upholstered.  I have some really nice Boar Grain vinyl left over from another project that I could use for that.

Next project will be finishing the seats.  A couple years ago, when I put on my reproduction turtle backs, I used Adhesion Promoter on one, but not the other.  Guess what?  The one without had the dye peeling off in sheets.  Yuck! What a mess it made.  So that has to get re-done and also put on my "short" lower seat plastic pieces as it doesn't seem like the "long" ones will ever get reproduced again.

Been waiting like 5 years for AMARK to do another run on those... Dead

Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2021 at 5:49pm
No pictures yet, but recent update email says metal work is 95% completed.

PAGAENT View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAGAENT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2021 at 6:22pm
Maybe #4?
Pat Gary
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
  Share Topic