TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - '70½ BBG Gremlin begins it's journey to rebirth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'70½ BBG Gremlin begins it's journey to rebirth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2021 at 3:20am
Its really impressive how quickly you got it back together after returning from the body shop.  The car looks great.
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2021 at 6:41am
Originally posted by mbwicz mbwicz wrote:

Its really impressive how quickly you got it back together after returning from the body shop.  The car looks great.

I'm still not working. I've got all the time in the world. To be honest, I'm upset at myself for still not having it together yet.  Should've been done weeks ago!
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2021 at 7:22am
Hey, there are always surprises on a job
Like this. No urgent timetable to get it done, right?  Just enjoy the progress and stay positive.  
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2023 at 2:46am
Sadly, have had very little to report since last post.  Car did make it into town for it's alignment last fall.

Come spring, I've got to find somebody who can drop the gas tank and clean up some of the welding in the trunk floor area. I've still got to send my brake booster off to be rebuilt. Have to try and find a better driver side drip rail stainless.  Still lots of little things to do.  Never fails though, a fella either has all the time and no money; or all the money and no time.  New job surprisingly kicks the crap out of me so I have no energy come the evening and I've been trying to pay down credit card debt. Thankfully, that is coming along, not as well as expected.  A $600-dollar dental bill didn't help things.

One things that's been bugging me is the car has always sat a little low in the rear. I've been thinking about adding some longer shackles to hopefully straighten it out as I really don't want to cut coils. There has been the thought of new rear springs rattling around in my head but that's yet another expense I hadn't planned on....

Only way is up, I suppose.

Edited by Fluffy73 - Jan/13/2023 at 2:49am
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2023 at 3:24am
I always like to mix and match leafs in the rear leaf packs to get the height I like.
AMC used pretty flat springs so anything with a little more arch of the same width leaf (and close to the right length) helps get the height back.

I think Gremlins used 2.5" wide leafs, that's the standard width across most vehicles that have leafs, so you could look at a junkyard set of Explorer, or Ranger leafs to see if one or two of their secondary leafs could beef up your pack.

Shackles are OK too, but they tend to accelerate the sagging of leafs that are already going flat, and don't always give the results you want.

If you do use shackles, it's best to loosen the front leaf bolts too, so the springs can pivot down a little,
then don't tighten up all the leaf bolts until the car is back on the ground, weight on the suspension.

Beautiful car,
good luck.
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2023 at 5:25am
Originally posted by jpnjim jpnjim wrote:

I always like to mix and match leafs in the rear leaf packs to get the height I like.
AMC used pretty flat springs so anything with a little more arch of the same width leaf (and close to the right length) helps get the height back.
I do the same thing. I went down to the local spring shop and bought a pair of extra, long leaf's to go under the main and it raised it up about an inch. It's a cheap and easy way to change the ride height without shackles or air shocks. Get a new center bolt if you do this.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
1948kaiser View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1948kaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2023 at 5:40am
what if you have 6cyc springs in the rear and v8 in the front? would that change the stance?
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2023 at 11:47am
The back looks perfect, I would lower the front a hair.
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2023 at 11:59am
Lowering plates drop the front 1-5/8".  Not sure if that is too much for you.  Its still a bunch of work to install, but you don't need to remove and cut the springs.

I think that the rear looks fine.  Great looking car, and fun to follow the build.

Mike

BMOgremlin View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2023 at 8:12pm
The leaf springs from a 90 wrangler work really well and are plentiful from numerous outlets. My 74 gremlin has rancho springs with a 2.5 lift. Can send ya pics if you would like to see how it sits. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
  Share Topic