TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - '70½ BBG Gremlin begins it's journey to rebirth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'70½ BBG Gremlin begins it's journey to rebirth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2021 at 2:24am
Seems I now have to undo a bunch of work I've done.  Dome light is not working and no continuity to the wires up to the dome light.   It was working before the car went for body work.  I noticed they also cut or broke the wire that leads to my fuel sender so my gas gauge wasn't working either.

Not the end of the world, but annoying.
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2021 at 4:42am
That’s how it goes. One step forward, one step back. Just gotta remain patient and know when to walk away for a day when you get too frustrated. 

You have a great car going there, it will be awesome!
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2021 at 1:53am
*Sigh*

That certainly looks like a problem, doesn't it?  So, this began with the dome light not working. Then the fuel gauge not registering (broken wire in rear) but after getting the tail lights all pretty again it turned out I had no tail, no turn, no brake, no backup, no side markers and no license light.  I then got the bright idea to check for the 5 volt pulse for the fuel gauge at the break in the back and sure 'nuff.... I had the 5 volt pulse at the connector behind the kick panel but nothing at the rear of the car.

Out came the back seat, out came the drill to remove the pop rivets holding in my interior panels (I put steel behind the rear seat door cards for extra strength & insulation) pulled the whole rear harness out and sure as God made little green apples.... lookit that nice zip-disc cut right through the harness.

I mean, accidents happen sure. I'm no stranger to the "$hit happens" movement. But the body shop obviously knew about this.  How do I know????  There's a great big gob of their masking tape about 8-10 inches BEFORE this "cut'.  I'm a little less than impressed. But now this is kinda shaking my confidence....  Gonna contact the owner on Monday and see what he has to say about it.   Nothing can really be done about this now and in all honesty.... it's 7 wires.... I can patch it together.

mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2021 at 6:31am
  At least you found something and its not a broken, brittle wire somewhere in the harness.  I doubt you will get any satisfaction from bringing this up to the body shop (Oh, we had a new guy help us with teardown, he doesn't work here anymore).
  Just do the repair right and use shrink tubing to help protect it.  Keep moving forward on your great project.

Mike

1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2021 at 7:37am
Yeah, the wire harness incident reminds of the my kids in class. When I was teaching we took live customer cars in the shop ( Vo-tech school) and when the kids damaged something they always acted like it didn't happen, put the car back together and pretend they don't know anything about. Worst of all when I ran a body shop, I had adult techs do the same thing. Very annoying, especially when the customer picks up the car and then and only then is the issue found. 
 Caught many of technician ( adult & my High School students) deny or outright lie. It makes it really hard when you are the manager or owner of a shop and you do not know about these damages. Then manager is caught off guard when the customer complains and it makes the shop look bad because of a technician that is afraid of paying for the damages, so they deny it. 
I would talk to the manager, as he most likely does not know about the issue. He will be mad but not at the customer, but at his techs.
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2021 at 4:01am
I think the headlight switch picked the perfect time to die.  Got everything working lighting wise except for park & tails. No dash lights either and those were working.  No power to the blue wire anywhere.  Luckily, I have a new switch just for such an occasion.   Hopefully tomorrow means I can get all the lights working and get the interior back in - finally!!

amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2021 at 11:47am
Does the gremlin ground around the face like the AMX?
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2021 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by amxdreamer amxdreamer wrote:

Does the gremlin ground around the face like the AMX?

Not sure I understand what ya mean there, Big T.  What it turned out to be was not the light switch, though I'm glad to now have a new light switch in the car.  No, the issue was apparently the entire park/tail circuit grounds in ONE single spot:  and that is to the upright tail panel support at the rear of the car.  I had put the screw back in, but noticed it to be a bit loose.  I then replaced that screw with one with slightly more girth and everything came to life.  Thinking about replacing that screw with a small bolt.

But, the good news is I'm back to where I was about 2 days ago.  All interior side panels back in, back seat in, all lights working.

amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2021 at 9:48pm
Glad it all worked out!
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2021 at 1:25am
Grille is in.  Rolled outside yesterday for a brief photoshoot.  Man, bugs love this colour.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
  Share Topic