TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

70 AMX fuse panel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green70AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70 AMX fuse panel
    Posted: Mar/27/2021 at 9:28am
Working to get my AMX back together and found that i have no power going to one side of my fuse panel. The power is coming in on the side where the wiring harness hooks up but no power on the side that runs the clock, courtesy light , radio and accessories . I guess that means that i am going to need a new fuse panel. Has anyone experienced this kind of problem? 
I did see on the APD site that they have used ones for sale maybe that could be the way to go. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Bob

green70AMX
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2021 at 9:50am
Did you follow the circuit  pattern from the tsm? There is a keyed and unkeyed path
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2021 at 10:55am
Check your fuses for that side of the block. 
Fuses can "look good" but in all actuality be bad. If the fuses check out good, then I would be checking the fuse holders themselves. I replaced all my fuses with new ones and still found one new one that was bad. 
Also, any corrosion on anything..?? 
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2021 at 10:56am
Clock and courtesy lights should be full-time power i.e. they work without the key in ignition. The radio and accessories should only be powered with key in "on" or "ACC" positions.

I suggest you get a wiring diagram (or TSM) for the car and do some thorough diagnostics before you blame the fuse panel and find the replacement doesn't work any better. A little sweat equity goes a long way. Throwing parts at a problem is a craps shoot.

Make sure all the fuses are tight. The spring clip can loosen over the years. All you need to do is pull the fuse, squeeze the clips together, and put the fuse back in. While you have the fuse out, check that it is still good.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
green70AMX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green70AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2021 at 7:56am
Thanks all. It is a new wiring harness in a complete rebuild of the AMX. i have spent several days under the dash tracing and retracing. Changed out fuses, recleaned connections and everything i can do. Going to go thru it all one more time just to make sure i did not miss anything. Bob
green70AMX
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green70AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2021 at 7:18am
Put in a different fuse panel and it took care of the problems. Everything comes alive as it should. Bob
green70AMX
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2021 at 7:34am
There's very little to go wrong with the OEM fuse panel. Don't toss it into the junk pile just yet.
There are only two main circuits. The "live all the time circuit" that's fed from the battery side of the starter realy and the "switched on and off" circuit that's fed through the ignition switch. Take a close look at the back side where the fuse clips are attached to the metal buss bars.
You may have corrosion to clean off or perhaps the terminal connections may be loose and could be tightened or soldered.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green70AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2021 at 7:47am
Not going to toss it will look at it when i have time. Thanks Bob
green70AMX
Perrybones View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perrybones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2021 at 5:17pm
The so called "fuse panel" is complete garbage in these cars as well as hard to get too! Been screwing around with that thing for 42 years!
Perry 70 Javelin SST 390, 69 AMX 343, 73 AMX 360, 67 Rebel SST Conv and 92 Corvette Conv. (modern muscle to keep wife happy).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic