TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

70 AMX Clutch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70 AMX Clutch
    Posted: Jan/15/2022 at 2:50pm
At the point of having everything to put together my 390. But also have a 360 so might just go with that and store the 390.  My dilemma is I'm a weakling at least my left side.  Original T10 Just got the flywheel machined and looking for a clutch/pressure plate ext. Now I've had a couple strokes and left side a bit/ok a lot weaker. I want good holding torque much more than stock.  I used to have a Hays in my 69 AMX and it was great but there would be no way I could handle that now. OH yea I also broke my back since then and that didn't help my strength. and the left ankle surgery probably didn't help also. So, what I need is an automatic. NO NO. Want the T10 but anyone know of a good clutch that doesn't need an arm and a LEG to push and hold or might even convert to a hydraulic setup.  I'm not going to be doing any hole shots like in the past. (Also, it seems that the drag strip up the road might not reopen) Might do a Youtube video of the 360/390 assembly soon also. 
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2022 at 2:59pm
In general, a diaphragm type clutch will have less pedal pressure than the 3 arm borg & beck style.  I went with a RAM clutch, but don't have the car running yet to comment.  There are also people that really like centerforce.  I'm sure that you will get plenty of comments.

Sorry to hear about your issues, but its great that you are still moving forward with your car.  Have fun. 
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
Tomerekson View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomerekson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2022 at 8:34am
I installed a Mcleod dual disk clutch in my 401 Spirit, it has a very soft, easy push pedal.  It's a street/racing clutch and will handle lots of HP.  The negative is that it's very pricey.

I've used hydraulic throw out bearings in a 70 AMX, still had a hard to push pedal given the Ram borg and beck performance clutch.  Using a hydraulic TO bearing in my 66 American with much better results, Mcleod diaphram type single disk clutch.
1966 American HT, 401 with STR 11, T10
1979 Spirit GT, 401, T10
1975 Hornet Hatchback, 440 c.i. stroked 401, to be an LSR race car
1930 Essex coupe, to be a 401 with 3 deuces, TKX 5 speed, hot rod
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2022 at 10:08am
The Centerforce Dual Friction will have the best holding power and the lowest pedal force.  It feels like you're driving a Honda Civic.
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2022 at 2:07pm
Thanks guys I'll check out the options an especially the dual clutch set up. Just put a dual clutch in my sons BMW dual turbo rocket. I will never ride in that car again. 
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2022 at 12:53pm
Dual friction.  Single disc
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2022 at 1:10pm
Another consideration would be these clutches:
Installed a few and they work well, no issues with any installed. The "HD Street Sprung" would be the lowest pedal pressure in their line.
70amxvegas View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 70amxvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2022 at 1:28pm
i just installed a new centerforce, wow easy as pie on the pressure needed
AMCman1971 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMCman1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2022 at 8:45am
Has anyone done a write up on hydraulic throw out bearings? Would love to go that route with my Javelin as I am going back to a T-10?

Thanks for the link on Clutches? Also interested in the dual friction if anyone can add a link for that?
Midnight Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2022 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Steve_P Steve_P wrote:

The Centerforce Dual Friction will have the best holding power and the lowest pedal force.  It feels like you're driving a Honda Civic.

I bought one for my T5 swap based on a lot of comments just like this.

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic