TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

70 AMX 70 Javelin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70 AMX 70 Javelin
    Posted: Jun/23/2022 at 12:59pm
HISTORY. 1 year all ready. So, purchase a 70 AMX and for parts a 70 Javelin. AMX has been sitting under a tarp and a big Oak for the last 20 years on grass. I first found car back in 1990 or so, and it was mint. 63k on the odometer original owner from Viti motors and he also worked in the parts department. So in 2000 he decided to modify engine with headers, Crane Can/HS rockers/duel springs ect ect. also Edelbrock intake. Never ran since and I offered my help but he wanted to try. Well stopped by every year or so but it just sat behind the house. well time went bye. like 20 years. I was working on a 78 T/A in that town and remembered the AMX so after I was done I drove around for an hour trying to remember were the car was. 20 years things change but also all the homes in that area look the same and that was my biggest problem. But long story short. found it still sitting under the tree. tarp not so good. but made the deal and trailered it home to sit in my back yard under a Maple for a month until I could make room. So here are the pics and it is coming along but slower then I want. I also have my 59/60 Rambler American. 78 C20 frame up. Ranger trans. 51 GMC 100 overhaul ect ect ect ect. ON THE PICS  it looks worst then it is. not really. but I love fabrication and have most tools or I'll make them. The hardest is the cross section bellow the rear window. the support pictured in 3 and 4. it was totally rusted but the package tray was good so used the CAD(cardboard added design) and just made some templated to transfer to steel. got all that done so a sheet of metal between this part and the trunk and fritzee is his name. Ok im not a body guy but have learned alot at the dealer. (mostly what not to do) and a YOUTUBE videos by FRITZEE who spells it out real easy and so far everything is working out.
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2022 at 9:40pm
I've got to make repairs to the bottom corners of the rear windshield opening on my '70 Javelin, too. Thankfully it's not as bad as this AMX you have here. 
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2022 at 3:20pm
Fritzee's videos don't do much for me unless I watch them numerous times.  Sometimes I don't get the sense even of what he is saying.  And me makes it look too simple.  His rapid delivery and accent suck too.
But I will grant, with patience you can learn something from him.   Joe

Happiness is making something out of nothing.
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2022 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by pacerman pacerman wrote:

Fritzee's videos don't do much for me unless I watch them numerous times.  Sometimes I don't get the sense even of what he is saying.  And me makes it look too simple.  His rapid delivery and accent suck too.

Well hopefully his tutelage will help to get my AMX back together again. I've watched a lot of fabricators and he does seem to be the best so far. If you know a better one let me know. I'm a great mechanic but not so much a body guy.
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.
javsst View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javsst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2022 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by pacerman pacerman wrote:

I watched one of the videos on crossmember repair and see what you mean.

Though as you said, after a few watches, you can learn.

And close captioning helps Wink

Steve
1970 Javelin SST Bittersweet Orange 360/T10 4 Speed AMC20 w/3.54s
1969 AMX BBO 360 with TF727 AMC20 w/4.10s
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2022 at 6:21pm
Hea at least we have playback.
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2022 at 8:05pm
The saying in the shops.
Everything is repairable if you have enough time & money!!!!!
I have restored some cars that should not been restored. were half the frame or unibody had to be replicated, that's not including the rusted sheet metal.
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2022 at 9:24pm
Correct most cars or trucks id just part out but I have a passion for the AMC's especially AMX's and Javelins, Matador coupes also pre 74. it will be nice cruising a
round in her.
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2022 at 9:23am
Originally posted by WARBED WARBED wrote:

Correct most cars or trucks id just part out but I have a passion for the AMC's especially AMX's and Javelins, Matador coupes also pre 74. it will be nice cruising a
round in her.

Yup, 
I am currently (last 18 months) contemplating restoring another Gremlin. It's bad, very rusted, even the door hinge posts at the bottom are full of rust holes. I had Mustangs for 25 yrs (my first car at age 16) that I parted out due to high rust, but the Gremlins are few and far between. It's like I just have this need to save the car. It will never make a restoration, too many things already gone (seats, correct motor & trans, etc..) But it would make a mild hot rod while keeping the body and the majority of the interior stock looking. 

I guess we both have the same disease!!!!!!   Wacko
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic