TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'69 Karmann Javelin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '69 Karmann Javelin
    Posted: Mar/21/2011 at 4:27pm
Hi there!

I'm Manuel. I'm 19 years old and live in the Netherlands. I don't know if there are more people from Europe (or the Netherlands) on this forum, but after a few months of watching on this forum, I thought: It's time to register an account and post the project I'm working on, together with my old man.

We're restoring a 1969 AMC Javelin 343 SST Karmann (or 79-K). I haven't seen one on this forum so maybe it is a bit of an unknown car here. 
Only 281 79-K's are produced and 4 of them are still driving around in my country.

Here are some picture of ours: 

My dad bought the car in the same state as shown on the pictures. 
We already have the majority of the body panels, but we need some help with other parts. Parts are very hard to get for this car (as you probably already know), especially in our country. Pretty much everything needs to be delivered from overseas.

We're not planning to work on this car soon (because my dad hasn't much time on his hands), but we first want to get the engine running and the brakes working.

Edited by Manuel - Mar/21/2011 at 4:41pm
JavelinRob View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavelinRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2011 at 5:22pm
looks fairly rust free , do you have all the glass for the car , doors  and chrome trim , interior etc... looks like mine when I got it
1970 sst 421 shivvy
1970 amx 390 4spd go pack
Jeepnofear View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepnofear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2011 at 7:03pm
So what's the difference between a Karmann and a regular Javelin?
PlazinJavelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlazinJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2011 at 8:06pm

Very cool, welcome.

http://www.american-motors.de/en/karmann/

"Javelin parts were delivered from the U.S. and assembled in Rheine."

PlazinJavelin
Marlin Wannabe

RSX 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSX 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2011 at 9:58pm
First of all.....welcome to the AMC Forum.

Glad to see you will have a father and son project. Take your time and remeber, no matter how minor the work is, it's still progress.

Please keep the photos coming.
I'll follow these lines a little ways more,

Until I can find what I'm looking for.

With the pedal to the metal,

I'm gaining my speed.

Riding down low in my AMC.....
Tim View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2011 at 4:33pm
Hi,

I am also located in the Netherlands, and also busy with the restauration of a 79k Karmann. Great car to work on. 40 years, but all bolts just come loose. That different with today's cars....

Engine runs like a charm... After all these years....

What a car!!! Why did they stop making these??!!???

You are 1 of the 9 Karmann javelins I have seen on the net.... Thet are quite rare since only 281 are built in germany. Did you know we also have a dutch AMC club??
Manuel View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2011 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by JavelinRob JavelinRob wrote:

looks fairly rust free , do you have all the glass for the car , doors  and chrome trim , interior etc... looks like mine when I got it

Yes, we have the glass, chrome trim, all the bodywork, etc. The interior is 90% complete also. We only need some engine-, transmission-, chassis- and brake-parts.
We need a new radiator and a few things that have to do with the braking. So I'm going to search for that first.

Originally posted by Jeepnofear Jeepnofear wrote:

So what's the difference between a Karmann and a regular Javelin?

The Karmann's are built in de Karmann factory in Germany. They have "km/h" speedometers, instead of "mph". And also the lights are European. And some other minor stuff.

Originally posted by Tim Tim wrote:

Hi,

I am also located in the Netherlands, and also busy with the restauration of a 79k Karmann. Great car to work on. 40 years, but all bolts just come loose. That different with today's cars....

Engine runs like a charm... After all these years....

What a car!!! Why did they stop making these??!!???

You are 1 of the 9 Karmann javelins I have seen on the net.... Thet are quite rare since only 281 are built in germany. Did you know we also have a dutch AMC club??

You are the owner of the '70 Javelin SST 290, right? I saw it on http://www.amcjavelin.nl
Dave (the webmaster), has spoken to me via email already. Our car should be on that site soon.

Manuel View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2011 at 3:21pm
Sorry for my inactivity on this forum. I had a lot on my mind in the last few months.
We also  haven't got much time to work on this car right now, but that will change in the near future.
But I have a small update to share with you guys, because we sent the busted radiator to a radiator expert. It'll be as good new and ready to install by next week.
ramblerman390 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblerman390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2011 at 9:46pm
so far so good  think's for pic Approve
want to go fast... get an AMC!
SST343 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SST343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2011 at 11:19pm
Manuel - Very interesting project. Please continue to update us on your progress.

Good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic