TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 AMX vacuum wipers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n3wwl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 69 AMX vacuum wipers
    Posted: Jun/25/2022 at 4:33pm
The windshield wipers on my AMX suddenly stopped returning. They come up and then start to return for the next up sweep, but stop after a few inches. The wiper transmission moves manually with ease. I can hear a vacuum leak when the switch is fully open. Turning the switch slightly will make the leak cease but wipers still won’t return for the up swipe. The slider on top of the motor also moves fully with the switch. I took the top cover off the wiper motor ( the sliding part now exposed) and saw a rubber block encased in plastic. Didn’t look dirty but wiped it with some alcohol anyway. It did not help. Anyone else experience this to give me some pointers?   I fear I may have to remove the wiper motor for rebuilding.  Not sure what to do next. Thanks for help. 

Jay

1969 BBB 390 4 speed
n3wwl View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n3wwl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2022 at 4:12am
Well, I removed the wiper motor and sent it for restoration. Peter Stathes did an amazing job…it looks great!  Tried and failed to reinstall. Gave up after struggling for 2 hours. I just can’t get the clip back on. Is there a trick to this?  After searching the forum, I found some hints, but to no avail. Thanks for any help. 

Jay

1969 BBB 390 4 speed
Javelinjulie View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelinjulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2022 at 9:50am
The clip that goes on the wiper motor shaft to transmission? I usually have the end of the wiper transmission sticking out of the cowl hole where thw motor mounts. Then put the arm off the trans on the motor and clip it. Then slide the motor into place and secure it. 
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2022 at 9:58am
Originally posted by n3wwl n3wwl wrote:

Well, I removed the wiper motor and sent it for restoration. Peter Stathes did an amazing job…it looks great!  Tried and failed to reinstall. Gave up after struggling for 2 hours. I just can’t get the clip back on. Is there a trick to this?  After searching the forum, I found some hints, but to no avail. Thanks for any help. 

Jay

How did you originally remove it? Installation is typically the reverse 
BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2022 at 10:53am
Lay the linkage in the cowl with attached pull strings up through the holes for the posts. Attach the linkage clip. Then pull posts through the holes with the strings.  
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic