TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 AMX Gauges

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadventure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 69 AMX Gauges
    Posted: Jul/21/2022 at 10:21am
I am thinking about accessory gauges for my 69 AMX (390, Automatic).  Currently I have the OEM Gauge set that has been rebuilt is okay for use, but not very accurate. 

I have been looking at accessory gauge applications and building a custom console that would include cup holders and a gauges (Oil Pressure, Water Temperature, Trans temperature and Voltage).  There seem to be several good choices for round gauges that come with sensors, wiring, etc.

But, I then started thinking about who might make a "package" set that could be used and came up with this:

This is a gauge package from a 2010 Camaro. 

Does anyone know if there is anything "magical" about this type of unit.  For example, this comes out of a computer controlled car.  Could it accept information directly from sensors or would a computer that feeds it info also be required?  I guess this might really be a question for anyone who owns a GM vehicle with this or a similar gauge package.  But, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
dave

Javelinjulie View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Javelinjulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2022 at 12:34pm
My husband has a 2011 camaro 2ss with same gauges. He is a mechanic and pretty good with electrical diagnostics etc. I will pick his brain about it when he gets home and give you his response. 
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2022 at 4:04pm
I would assume that modern gauges like these gets the info from the computer.  Similar to a Scangauge, from the OBD port; all of this info is monitored by the computer.
Javelinjulie View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelinjulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2022 at 5:24pm
Ok he said the gauges are oil temperature, trans temperature, oil pressure and volts. He believes that the sending units would be metric thread and do have inputs from the bcm (body control module). He thinks it would be very difficult to get them to work properly. He thinks you will be better off with autometer or vdo gauges. I can do custom things I restore plastic parts. I made a 4 speed center console for Terrys 69 XP javelin. If you figure out what you want to use im sure if you need to have someone make something up to fit the console I can probably work out something. For a local guys 70 amx he eliminated most everything from his car and I blanked out the speaker and defroster on his dash. Good luck on the hunt
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2022 at 5:36pm
Look to the original, if you want to use camaro parts in your AMX: https:////www.ss396.com/camaro/IK-689A.html  Much easier to adapt.

The aftermarket, Dakota Digital, makes updated gauges like this, if the reproductions are not expensive enough for you.

Edited by scott - Jul/21/2022 at 5:38pm
"Prolly" is not a word.
roadventure View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadventure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2022 at 9:53am
Originally posted by Javelinjulie Javelinjulie wrote:

Ok he said the gauges are oil temperature, trans temperature, oil pressure and volts. He believes that the sending units would be metric thread and do have inputs from the bcm (body control module). He thinks it would be very difficult to get them to work properly. He thinks you will be better off with autometer or vdo gauges. I can do custom things I restore plastic parts. I made a 4 speed center console for Terrys 69 XP javelin. If you figure out what you want to use im sure if you need to have someone make something up to fit the console I can probably work out something. For a local guys 70 amx he eliminated most everything from his car and I blanked out the speaker and defroster on his dash. Good luck on the hunt

Thank you!  That is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping to get. 

I am capable of making a console, and will, but thought that the modern GM gauge package could be a good fit.  It's not, based on what you confirmed for me.

It appears that the analog type gauge set to fit the 68-74 Camaro/Nova is available as a repo item.  Maybe that would be a possibility. Will keep searching for a trans temp and oil pressure replacement.  Also came across an Autometer four-gauge pod for console mounting.  Looks like lots of opportunities.

And, then there is also modeling whatever I want and 3D printing the part.

Thanks again!

dave

Edited by roadventure - Jul/22/2022 at 9:59am
roadventure View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadventure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2022 at 9:57am
Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

Look to the original, if you want to use camaro parts in your AMX: https:////www.ss396.com/camaro/IK-689A.html  Much easier to adapt.

The aftermarket, Dakota Digital, makes updated gauges like this, if the reproductions are not expensive enough for you.

Thanks.  After Julie's response I started searching for the 60's Camaro console gauge sets and, as you mentioned, found that there are repo options.  Also saw the Autometer console mount bezel which might make the most sense as the 2 1/16" round gauge form has the most choices.

As far as I am concerned, "parts is parts".  Like AMC (and all the other auto manufacturers at the time) I will source from whatever seems to be the best fit.

dave
DesertAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2022 at 7:15pm
Here is a quick picture of what I did for my 69AMX.   These are standard Auto Meter 2 1/6 gauges with their standard bezel.   I modified the radio pod by cutting off the ashtray and lighter portion.  The radio pod had already been cut out for the DIN radio.  
69 BBG AMX

69 BBO Javelin Project

Cactus Cruisers AMC
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2022 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by DesertAMX DesertAMX wrote:

Here is a quick picture of what I did for my 69AMX.
I like that!
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
johnv View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2022 at 2:08pm
Do you have any photos of the Terrys 69 XP Javelin dash?  I'd like to see the finished product.
Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic