TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Trading Post: Sale, wanted, vendors,shipping > Product Announcements
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

68-70 AMX & Jav Window Stabilizer Kit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ViperFred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2021 at 8:50pm
How do I get a set?  I took my door panel off to see what the problem was with the slop in the window and just attributed to worn out parts.  Love to see if this is a solution.
FGM
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2021 at 8:52pm
Well I will add you to the list Fred.

Sorry I've been falling behind on these a little, as it seems life has all manner of chores for me to do lately.  But I've almost got my 3d printer back to proper performance, which should help.

Chris
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
cone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2021 at 4:29pm
PM sent
1987 J20, 87 Grand Wagoneer,70AMX,
JERSEYJOE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2021 at 3:46pm
I am about to attack the windows  on my 70 AMX project. I have been putting this off all summer and am ready. This is the last think that i need to do t call it completed but I have discussed this topic with a lot of way very experienced AMX body guys and this is not an easy fix. SO if you have a complete kit of what i need i would be glad to buy it and give you feedback

Joe Belfiore
jbelfior@gmail.com
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

SPEED COSTS MONEY HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2021 at 12:58pm
Ok Joe, I'll add you to the list.

What I've been learning lately is that the 1970 cars had a slightly different curve to the windows, and I can't imagine they'd have made that kind of change for any reason other than to improve sealing. That seems to align with my experiences, in that the 1970 AMX I worked on was much easier to get noise free on the highway than my 1968 or 1969 cars.

But as I mentioned a few posts back, I've worked out a little spacer strip that you can add in as needed to help push the weatherstrip toward the glass to make up for the mismatch in the curve of the glass versus the curve of the stainless weatherstrip holder. I'm including a bunch of those in each kit I send out.

I've got 4 kits ready to go now, so I'll start PMing folks on the list and get those shipping. More kits are in the works. 

I've also been working on the 1968 version, which really only needs adjustment of one part of the kit. Still I'm not 100% confident in the fitment as my car only has one 1968 door. I really would like to come up with a way to make it more adjustable but haven't come up with how to do that yet.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
XRX744 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XRX744 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2021 at 9:57pm
PM sent 

69 AMX, pro touring /track car, TEAM tribute, aka: "The Kenosha Corncob"
dh1968 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dh1968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2021 at 9:51pm
PM sent
DAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2021 at 10:35am
Hello Greyhound,

I have a '68, and I can provide photos and measurement for you. Thank you for developing a kit for improving the side window slop. I am very interested in the kit when a '68 version is available.

Regards

Dono
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2021 at 7:44pm
Well after about 12 versions I think I have something workable for the 1968 cars. There's no threaded hole in the top of the front channel like on the 1969 & 1970 cars, so I've concluded that the best way to retain it is to just glue it in place. Nice and simple.

Here's what it ended up looking like:

And here it is glued into the front channel with some RTV. You can see the rub marks where the metal "shoe" that carries the glass bumps up against it.

The downside is that it's not adjustable, but really the spacing from the channel to the shoe carrying the glass should be the same on all of the cars. There's bound to be some tolerance from car to car, so it might take a little hand filing to get a good fit on some cars.

This part supports the glass laterally at roughly the height of the beltline weatherstrip, and there's another part in the kit that grabs the swinging arm in the second channel to brace the window down low. That's the same for all of the cars, only this front lateral support had to change for the 1968 cars.

So if you're interested in a kit shoot me a private message and I'll get you on the list. The kits are $100 + $6 shipping and include everything to do both doors, including the thicker rollers for the rear window channel. 
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
Turtle View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2022 at 2:27pm
Sent PM
1969 AMX 390 4 speed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic