TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

68 automatic javelin brake lamp switch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javtopgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 68 automatic javelin brake lamp switch
    Posted: Aug/14/2022 at 7:03pm
Ok , I have went tru the 1968 TSM trying to figure out how to replace the brake lamp switch , Found 1 very little tiny paragraph in sec 10 (brakes wheels hubs and drums ) and all it states is where its at , Brake pedel bracket . Already knew that !! Since the switch is different in 68 vs 69 ( 69 seems to use the manual trans switch for both manual and auto ) 68 dose not . Have ordered one and it has a 2 wire male bullit connectors on one end and a male threaded stem on the other end . NO PLUNGER ?? Like on the manual switch . Is the plunger independent and on a pigtail ??? and if so could that not be bad and not the switch ? I have turn siginals and hazzarts , So the fuse is good , the bulbs are good and no where in the sec 4 electrical makes any mention of the brake lamp switch only the park brake switch . WTH !! What am i looking at here ???  
1968 Javelin SSt 343ci semi restomod .
madams View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2022 at 8:01pm
Been a while since I looked at this, but my 68 AMX had a squarish? switch mounted on a bracket that is no longer available as far as I can tell.  I see references to an "update kit" to go to the later round switch style, but they seem to be all used up too.  I bought the 69 switch (that I think you are describing) and made a simple L-bracket to mount it with the existing screw. The switch I bought at the local parts store came with 2 crimped nuts to allow for adjustment on the bracket.  I had to add some female spade lugs to the harness.  On my list of things to do is see what it takes to get the 72-74 switch to work (what I have now is working fine so probably never happen Wink)
68 AMX 390 4SP
67 RS Camaro 327 Auto
javtopgun View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javtopgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2022 at 8:29pm
Oh there out there and not where you would think , Kennedy did not have one nor APD .  Guess who has got the 68 auto trans ones ......... Rock auto !!! should have it by thur . So is the plunger a pigtail ??... Now that might be hard to find and my lucK thats what will be bad . But i would think if it is a pigtail , a door jam switch ( 2 wire ) could be adapted since the switch has the hot and ground leads ( 2 bullit connectors ) ?? DYI if it comes to that .... lol   
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2022 at 8:35pm
The OE 68 brake lamp switch (square-ish) was held on by one bolt.  And it has a plug on the harness.  So it's not like AMC would spend much space in the TSM on this- it's as easy as a fix gets, except changing a tail lamp bulb.  The OE switch is unique and was replaced by AMC a few years later with a cylindrical style switch and a replacement bracket.  IIRC there was a repair harness to replace the end of the OE harness so it'd fit the new switch.  So you will probably have to cut and splice the harness.  A picture of what you have would help.

edit- I'd bet you are not going to get a plug and play switch from Rock Auto. Because then the AMC vendors would have bought them all up.  The OE style was discontinued 50 years ago; there is a TSB on this.

Edited by Steve_P - Aug/14/2022 at 8:38pm
javtopgun View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javtopgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2022 at 11:17pm
Intresting Steve , Oh YEAH , a pix would be very nice At this point for sure . So its basicly like a stand alone switch that the harness plugs into BUT what picks up the movement of the brake pedel ?? No plunger on this switch that tipiclly would be in front OR behind of the pedel arm pushing the plunger into the switch or releasing the plunger out of the switch has got me confuse.  Instead of splice into harness just make 2 jumper wires , one end the female bullit ( 2 small barrel connectors on switch ) the other end what the harness connectors are ( most likely male or female spade connector ). Well i guess i will find out when i climb in on the floor and basicly work up side down ....lol . Any one got a pic of this set up , PLZ post it .  I'll figure it out but i thought i try and get an ideal what this set up was about before i jumped into it . Hec , it might just came on plugged .
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2022 at 11:52pm
Well I went to RockAuto to look at '68 Javelin brake light switches and the ones they show, except for the brake line pressure switches, are exactly like the one on my '70 AMX.  So please post a pic of yours.
Bill O.
70 AMX
javtopgun View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javtopgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2022 at 1:14am
I will when i get it but if you went to rock auto to look , thats the one im getting ( 2 of them one an auto trans with no plunger and one for a manual that has a plunger ) and in 69 parts on rock both auto and manual  trans use the 68 manual trans brake lite  switch .  I have asked tho , since the 68 auto trans brake lite switch has no plunger , What see's/sinces or feels, what ever,  the brake pedel movement to activate the brake lites ????? im going back to rock site and hope i did not order a brake line pressure switch but my 68 b/line pressure switch is a big brass billit thing under hood passenger  side as looking at it at bottom of fire wall at the curve to under body . Car orignally had manual brakes . still works after convertion to disc up front. Just makes for a 50/50 split instead of a 70/30 split .
javtopgun View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javtopgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2022 at 1:36am
Nope just checked , 68 Auto trans brake lite switch 5.6L v8 for a jav  Standard parts sls27 , there was a cheaper one sls27t and the 4 or 5 manual trans B/lite switches . Which i have stated, on rock auto 69 parts list show all the 68 manual switches as 69 B/lite switches for both manual AND auto trans . Did not look at 70 jav's parts list . Im inclined to think the 68 first year javelins were designed with all off the self parts and in 69 and 70 the refining was done ! as most manufactures do , we did at chrysler on any new model and re-engineer every model year thru any failures , process problems and warrenty information and of course pricing of the part and time to install and so on ! 
BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2022 at 8:43am
Originally posted by javtopgun javtopgun wrote:

but my 68 b/line pressure switch is a big brass billit thing under hood passenger  side as looking at it at bottom of fire wall at the curve to under body . Car orignally had manual brakes . still works after convertion to disc up front. Just makes for a 50/50 split instead of a 70/30 split .

??? Not sure what you are talking about. 50/50,, 70/30 ???  The pressure differential switch on the firewall of a 68 has nothing to do with proportioning front vs rear brakes.
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
mark09 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2022 at 8:57am
On this square like switch we had a 74 jeep that had a similar switch I and I converted to the later style. You might look at the older JEEP. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic