TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

68 AMX Touring Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2022 at 11:03am
The center cap stickers make a nice final touch.  
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
NorCalAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorCalAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2022 at 7:47pm
Custom pistons came in yesterday!
The K1 crank is still stuck in US customs Thumbs Down... and of course the Pro flow 4, intake/fuel injection/ignition, is still on backorder from Edelbrock.

1968 AMX 390 4Speed
NorCalAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorCalAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2022 at 9:50am
A few updates.
The TKX is installed and working well. I'm a bit disappointed in the "direct fit" advertising, but it wont matter in the end.
The big smile I get every time I shift more than makes up for the installation hassle! The shifting is very precise and crisp which gives the car a very positive feel.

LED Tail lights from Easy Performance

After the tail lights I moved to the front and installed a set of LED headlights from Dapper Lighting.
The pictures are better than words.

Low Beam

High Beam

Very happy overall with the latest upgrades.

1968 AMX 390 4Speed
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2022 at 10:44am
  The shifter position looks more like the 70 location with the hurst shifter.  If you aren't building a console for it, a 70 carpet set and shifter 'housing' may work for you.
  The pics for the headlights are great, you are progressing really well.

Mike

1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
NorCalAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorCalAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2022 at 8:19am
Originally posted by mbwicz mbwicz wrote:

The shifter position looks more like the 70 location with the hurst shifter.  If you aren't building a console for it, a 70 carpet set and shifter 'housing' may work for you.
  The pics for the headlights are great, you are progressing really well.

Mike

Thanks for the Idea!
I was thinking that there was a difference between the earlier Ford type shifter location and the later Hurst unit. For now I moved the housing sealed it with silicone and riveted it to the floorboard. Once the Control Freaks front K member is in I figure I'll reassess the shifter housing. For all I know the car may be a little bent.......
As with any 50 yr old vehicle the history is always unknown. I can see that it was hit in the front at one point and paint work was done in the original blazer blue (evidence from inside of drivers front headlight bucket) then later on it was painted red with red bumpers by a previous owner before going to the owner than I purchased the car from. Smile

1968 AMX 390 4Speed
XRX744 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XRX744 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2022 at 7:02pm
Coming along nicely! Keep up the great work!
69 AMX, pro touring /track car, TEAM tribute, aka: "The Kenosha Corncob"
NorCalAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorCalAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2022 at 8:33am
My 9" floater rear housing is a couple months out. The 10 yr old Radial TA tires are pretty hard on these old Cragar rims and making me nervous. I decided to change the wheel studs so I could run the new wheels and tires for the time being.

Old wheel studs are not swagged in place with these 75-78 Matador brakes. They simply pressed into the one piece hub rotor.

After knocking them out I measured the knurl to be .560 a quick trip to Napa and I came home with these wheel studs.

The knurl length is almost exactly the same as the thickness of the hub material.

I always apply anti seize compound when pulling in new studs. A couple spacers and an impact wrench sucked these studs right into place.

These longer studs allow me to run a 1/4" wheel spacer for truion housing clearance and to protrude through the much thicker aluminum wheels.

Now we move on to the rear!

A 4WD ball joint tool popped the rear studs right out. A couple on the drivers side took more force than I liked so I gave them a flash of heat and they came rite out.

Back to Napa for a some longer studs!

I sucked them in again with the impact wrench and anti seize compound.

I can now run a 1/4" wheel spacer for tire to leaf spring clearance!

Edited by NorCalAMX - Apr/13/2022 at 9:27am
1968 AMX 390 4Speed
amx007 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2022 at 9:19am
Now that’s cool
dream red white and blue
1968 Chicago auto show amx 290 4 speed
1969 driver Amx 290 auto
NorCalAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorCalAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2022 at 10:03am
Just a couple teaser pics of the new shoes!
I was too dirty to get in the car last night to move it outside for pictures.
The pictures don't really do the tires justice. This is quite a bit of rubber under the car.
Front 245/45/17 on 17x8 rim 4.5" BS with 1/4" wheel spacer.

Rear 285/40/17 on 17x9.5" rim with 5.5"BS and 1/4" wheel spacer.

1968 AMX 390 4Speed
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2022 at 12:51pm
Wow, made in USA wheel studs 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic