TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

68 AMX quarter window

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david0141 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 68 AMX quarter window
    Posted: Oct/23/2019 at 3:02pm
Can anyone tell me how the quarter window seal goes on the bottom of the window and what holds it in place? My seal is loose against the window and a half inch gap under the seal and can fall out very easily.

Thanks
David
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2019 at 3:26pm
There's a small tab with a screw at the top and bottom of the frame.  These were very prone to breaking off.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2019 at 5:12am
It sounds like you have an out of spec weatherstrip. The seat should fit tight around the perimeter of the glass to include the bottom edge. The bottom portion of the rubber seal should also be of the correct thickness and height to snugly fit into the bottom receiving channel in the opening without any shims or looseness. I have to assume that you have a repop weatherstrip. Do you know who made it ?
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
david0141 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david0141 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2019 at 8:00am
I think I bought it from APD.
Talonfcc566 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talonfcc566 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2019 at 8:21pm
The way I understand it .. Metro is the only ones making the seal now days. Everyone buys from Metro. I found this post becuase I'm having the same issue. My seals are from ADP. The seal pulls back leaving a gap at the front of the lower quarter glass. I also have the gap side to side. Both gaps will allow water in the front quarter body. I'm thinking about trying to seal the front edge with weather sealant, and shimmying some seal material along the outside side. David, you and I can't be the only ones having this problem. Good luck.
My Rides: 70 AMX 390 - 4-SPD / L382G(L-100) / 70 AMX 360 - 4-SPD / 1980 CB750C
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2019 at 8:50pm
I used early Metro quarter seals 20 years ago that were too short to fill the length of the channel.  I found some washered sheet metal screws about #6's.  I pulled the seal to the front of the channel, next to the door, and drove the screw through the seal into the quarter panel metal at the bottom front of the channel.  This held the seal to the front of the channel.  When I installed the quarter window, the seal stretched back into the rear corner of the quarter panel opening.  I placed the seal to the outside next to the quarter panel sheet metal and the inside plastic trim took up the skinny gap next to the seal. 
Mike
CamJam View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2019 at 9:39pm
I used the Metro seals when I restored my AMX in 2015.  I had no problems with the fit of the quarter windows, but the groove that the front window rides in when rolled up is not as deep as the original.  Not really a problem provided the glass is glued in the shoe properly, but if not it's easier for the glass to pop out at speed.
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award winner) SOLD
'70 Opel GT
'07 BMW 335i
'13 Ford Focus ST
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2019 at 10:07am
I used the Metro weatherstrips like everyone else. The 1st set I installed were also short and left a gap at the front. I contacted Metro direct and was told there were a newer version that fit better and sent me replacements. The new ones fit much better and have worked well. Perhaps you have one of the early sets?
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Ambassador
AMO#10333
Talonfcc566 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talonfcc566 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2019 at 10:38am
AMXDreamer,
How long ago are we talking? I bought mine 4 months back I would say from APD. I wonder if they know about this at all. I wonder if I could direct call Metro for exchange? I should have my receipt. Just Google them?
Thanks for any info.

My Rides: 70 AMX 390 - 4-SPD / L382G(L-100) / 70 AMX 360 - 4-SPD / 1980 CB750C
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2019 at 1:55pm
This was probably 10 years ago. I would call Metro anyways, it doesn't hurt to ask.
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Ambassador
AMO#10333
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic