TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

68 AMX Disc Brakes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68AMXJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2022 at 6:30pm
 I found some spacers (approx. 1/8") and put them on calipers fit a bit better but still scrape the outside edge, It appears they will need to be ground down? I am going to go back to my original drum brakes for now. Will try and tackle it at a later date.  
    Thank you all for the help. 
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2022 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by 68AMXJoe 68AMXJoe wrote:

I found some spacers (approx. 1/8") and put them on calipers fit a bit better but still scrape the outside edge, It appears they will need to be ground down? I am going to go back to my original drum brakes for now. Will try and tackle it at a later date.  
    Thank you all for the help. 

So they are hitting on the round part of the wheel rather than the face of the wheel?  Which wheels are you using?
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
68AMXJoe View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68AMXJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2022 at 6:48pm
14X6 rallies , magnums   

Edited by 68AMXJoe - May/14/2022 at 4:52am
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2022 at 4:30pm
If you have a true 1968 disc brake setup, there are two stamped steel spacers - I think they go under the spindle?  About .06" thick each.  I  can't remember if they're also on drum brake cars.  And I can't remember if they go against the upright or behind the spindle.
IIRC there was a change in the caliper mounting bracket in ~1969 that eliminated these spacers.
3b-amcya View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3b-amcya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2022 at 10:24am
Hello everyone, I'm jumping on this post since it is so recent and I have a related question for 69 AMX stock rotors.  I have the front end disassembled and the suspension rebuild 95% complete.  I am looking at the stock rotors and would like to know the standard thickness and how much can be machined off if I have them turned.  I don't want to go with aftermarket replacement (ST 127.63049) if I can avoid it.  Those listed online show a thickness of 0.507" for new ST 127.63049 rotors.  My original rotors are now at a thickness of .... get this 0.390" too funny!  Can these be machined down any further or not?  I can probably cleanup and live with them as is but would like to get them turned for smoother braking.

Thanks in advance.

Brian
69 AMX 390 ... owned since 1990
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2022 at 11:59am
Original are 0.450" minimum. As memory serves, there was not many times you could turn these. It was always a good idea in the day to use soft pads as the metallic ones ate the rotors down below minimum  with one pad change.
I know people hate ceramic pads, but on expensive rotors, they are likely the best way to go now.
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2022 at 12:14pm
Your rotors are too thin. Find different ones!

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
3b-amcya View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3b-amcya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2022 at 5:31pm
Thanks for getting back to me.  If I were to upgrade to the new rotors does anyone have experience with pressing in new studs?  I am also concerned about potential runout.  Any feedback on that and how to prevent it would be greatly appreciated.  I suppose the local machine shop could do this for me instead of turning the olde ones.

Thanks again.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2022 at 5:51pm
If you find new rotors, pressing in studs is not really a problem.
If you don't have a press, you can set the rotor in a vise, use a big C-clamp and deep socket and press in studs. They will square up themselves in the holes as long as you don't start them on an angle.
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2022 at 5:58pm
  The original rotors have a spacer on them.  If you are using the original wheels, it is important that you remove the spacer and mount it on the new rotor.  The spacer is held on by the knurl of the studs.
  There are threads here if you need to search for the proper studs (knurl diameter and length).  This is also the opportunity to replace the studs with longer ones if you are using aftermarket wheels.  Don't plan on reusing the old studs.

Mike
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic