TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

67 ambassador 343 V8 rear axle repair?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewGenAMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 67 ambassador 343 V8 rear axle repair?
    Posted: May/23/2023 at 11:22pm
Hello everyone, an uncle recently gifted me this car as he’s got another project going and I’m quite sentimental about it from childhood(never thought he’d get rid of it either), but as he had a health problem awhile ago it’s been sitting for about 2 years without having been started and the problem that has arisen is that the whole rear end is basically seized and useless, the brake rotors are stuck, same with the actual diff. So I’m trying to figure out what my options are for rebuilding its rear end, parts that’ll swap etc because I want to be able to move it from where it’s currently sat relatively soon and in this situation I know these cars specfically can be costly but at this point I just need to get it rolling so I’m more worried about just ACTUALLY finding something that will work because it’s even hard to find brand new custom rear ends, I honestly don’t even know where to look for pricing cuz there is just no options and admittedly it’ll have to be sort of a direct bolt on option or something as I do not have any welding experience or tools even if I did, just a regular backyard mechanic.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, it pains me to see this beast just sitting when shes got such a strong motor and transmission otherwise.
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2023 at 1:00am
I would find it hard to believe that the entire rear end is siezed from setting. You could put a wanted add here for a new diff but I would start with getting the drums freed up and go from there.  
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2023 at 3:17am
Agree that it's doubtful the entire rear end is seized. More likely is the brake pads are rusted to the drums.
Remove the parking brake cables, chisel off the shoe retaining clip heads from the back. 
That should allow the shoes to free up as nothing is retaining them. Loosen each wheel nut 1/2 turn.
Jack up the rear and undo the hub nuts and retorque to 250 ft-lbs. That should be enough force to loosen the shoes stuck to the drums and if lucky loosen the drums from the hubs.
If all goes well the differential will be free and it will be taking the brakes apart, clean, new pads and spring/retainer kit, change the differential fluid.
NewGenAMC View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewGenAMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2023 at 4:54am
Awesome thank you, I’m headed to work on it tomorrow, I’ll see if I can make some progress with it.
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2023 at 8:26am
I'm just wondering what kind of rear disc brakes this car has, in order to have rear rotors.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
NewGenAMC View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewGenAMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2023 at 7:14pm
Thanks for the tips, I got the passenger side undone with a little encouragement and WD-40 and it’s like you said brakes pads were really rusted to the inside of the wheel hub, also looks like the wheel cylinder was pretty done in as well.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2023 at 7:23pm
Rebuilding rear drum brakes will be a lot easier and cheaper than replacing the axle! I suggest you get all new springs as well as shoes (drum brakes have shoes, disc brakes have pads... though we knew what Trader meant... Buzz just had to rib him about that slip!). Should be available. Try www.rockauto.com first. See what shipping would be, then write down all the part numbers and manufacturers and see what local stores can get. The AMC vendors will have the parts too -- so if you have to order from the US check them first.
Frank Swygert
NewGenAMC View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewGenAMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2023 at 10:07pm
Awesome, ya I think that’s what I’m gonna do with them, although I can only find 10x1.75in rear drums and shoes (will those fit without issues?), the ones I measured on this one are 10x2.25in, the drum still has plenty thickness soIm definitely just wanting get those re done instead and just get new shoes if I can but if shoe don’t fit can’t where itLOL so I’m not to sure what systems match to what etc. thanks for the help, and ya I figured I’d join the forum and there would some ball-bustin to endure for sureLOL
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2023 at 9:20am
Are you absolutely sure the 2-1/4 isn't 2-1/2?
AMC vendors list 2-1/2 same with rockauto

Edited by Heavy 488 - Jun/05/2023 at 9:27am
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2023 at 12:40pm
You should have 9" Wagner drums, not 10". 10" were only used on wagons.

According to the TSM the rear 9" drums have shoes the same widths. Primary (front) shoe is 2.0" wide x 7.62" long, secondary (rear) is 2.0" x 9.97".

The 10" drums are Bendix. Shoes are both 1.75" wide. Primary (front) shoe is 1.75" wide x 8.46" long, secondary (rear) is 1.75" x 10.88".

The 2.50" wide drums are for the FRONT brakes. 9" have 2.25" primary shoe and 2.50" secondary and are Wagner brand. Front 10" brakes (again, 10" only used on wagons) have 2.50" wide shoes front and rear. Primary shoes have longer linings than secondary. 
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic