TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'66 American 199 cid radiator replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Root 66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '66 American 199 cid radiator replacement
    Posted: Jun/17/2022 at 9:22am
Hey all, looking for any suggestions/sources regarding changing out factory radiator on my '66 wagon. 199 w/ 3 spd 
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2022 at 9:50am
My 67 Rogue 232 needed a radiator. A call to Jeff Kennedy and he said he had a new Javelin radiator that would be a bolt in swap but slightly shorter. He was right.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
wittsend View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2022 at 9:56am
If you can't find a radiator by specific application they are one of the easily adaptable parts in a car.  Generic sized radiators are available. The important criteria is the same relative capacity and the position of the inlet and outlet pipes are in similar positions and size of the radiator being replaced. This might require drilling new mounting holes but in general adapting a radiator is a rather easy process.

Sometimes to get a specific radiator to the vehicle can be expensive. Regardless try that first (you never know) and work to the suggestion above if price or necessity dictate it.
'63 American Hardtop
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2022 at 1:17pm
In general I'm not a fan of "cheap" solutions, but the "CC 407" type AMC replacement aluminum radiators on eBay are just amazing. Far bigger than anything AMC ever made. Or, buy a Champion AMC radiator from Speedway, etc. Those I had to add HALF A GALLON MORE coolant. 

Discount all the horror stories you've heard about aluminum from back in the old days. Discount, not dismiss. Aluminum radiators require correct coolant, which means not tap/hose water. I now buy premix. And mounts can't be too crappy. But I've run them in every car I've owned in the last 10 years and not one problem even with the cheap eBay ones.

I'd guess that they are double the cooling capacity of a mediocre-condition brass job. Champion and eBay have bolted in no mods.  For my 1960 American I had to slot the four mounting holes 3/8" to raise the radiator up to clear the weird front engine mount system.

That, plus a nylon 14" fan, and none of my cars exceed thermostat temperature under any condition and that include long distance desert and mountain driving.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic