TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

-66 ambassador transmission leak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: -66 ambassador transmission leak
    Posted: Nov/26/2021 at 7:22am
Hey guys.I have a 66 Ambassador with a 232, automatic tranny on the column. I had the tranny rebuilt last year. It works well, but started leaking from dipstick connection and  the plate where you check the servo? No big deals. Now that the weather turned cold, when I start it, transmission fluid leaks out  pretty bad some where by fly wheel. It stops when the car warms up....... Is this air cooled BW tranny, with kick down cable, they only used two years ,worth my effort?
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2021 at 11:35am
Well.. you have a torque tube. It would be opening quite the can of worms to change it to another setup. Also if it's a 6 it has a different bolt pattern than the later six's. I'm not saying it can't be done but just be prepared for allot of fabrication.
SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2021 at 4:26pm
It was rebuilt a year ago. I would have it back to the shop to have them fix this. That said. many of them do leak after sitting for a while. Driving them more often helps. I can buy a lot of fluid for the cost of a rebuild. 
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2021 at 9:37pm
The leaks might be really easy to fix.

Snug up the flare nut that holds the dipstick tube into the pan. Don't overtorque it, tighter than tight breaks things. 

You can remove the governor cover, clean it, and use Right Stuff or Permatex Ultra Black or something quality (NOT HARDWARE STORE SILICONE!), let it cure over night. Wipe with solvent first. Mine leaked after a rebuild, the gasket seeped. Make sure the cover is actually flat; rub it on sandpaper on a flat surface, look for high points, tap it flat. If it's flat enough you don;t need a gasket with good sealant. 

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic