TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

-66 ambassador transmission leak

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: -66 ambassador transmission leak
    Posted: Apr/10/2021 at 2:20pm
 2 weeks ago my transmission started leaking badly after a short drive. I let it sit for a couple of days the leaking stopped. Drove it a few more times not very far only couple of miles seem fine. Drove it today now it's leaking bad again. Why would it leak Then stop then leak again Do I have to adjust the TV cable Loser or tighter To shift better The manual says to turns but I don't know if that's tighter or loser
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2021 at 11:49pm
Have you identified exactly where the trans fluid is leaking from? It coudl be that it leaks into some place that acts like q reservoir, or you park on a non-level spot, nose up, or nose down, so fluid collects and dumps.

Ultimately it doesn't matter why, if it's leaking it's leaking, there's a bad seal(s) or gaskets. If the transmission is been there since 1966 it's likely needing rebuilding. 

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Johnny66 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2021 at 7:28am
How much should rebuild be.... average
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2021 at 6:50pm
When you drive the car the transmission draws much of the fluid from the pan up into the tranny. When it sits the trans fluid slowly drains back into the pan. 

This explains why it leaks a bunch after sitting for awhile. You will need to climb under the car to determine where it is leaking from. I would guess the pan gasket, dip stick tube seal or one of the o-rings for the shift levers but I'm just guessing.

If it shifts and performs fine I would hold off on rebuilding it, personally. If you can find a good trans shop they could probably adjust it. Shops for oddball cars like a rambler can be kind of challenging to find though.

Edited by First_Gear - Apr/17/2021 at 6:52pm
Johnny66 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2021 at 6:04pm
I brought it to a shop today. We'll see tomorrow.....
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2021 at 12:19am
Not a bad decision. Good shops have a lot of knowledge. 

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2021 at 7:03am
The cable pushes in as the throttle is pressed. If you want it to shift a little more aggressively you make the cable LONGER. Factory setting is "two turns longer after a loose pin fit" (make sure auto choke isn't set). You can go up to about 1.5 turns longer. 2+ turns and you will find it shifting down into 2nd as you go up hills trying to hold speed. The TV cable also acts as a kick-down -- when it bottom out (full travel in) it will kick the trans down under a certain speed, somewhere in the 50-60 mph range. So trying to hold 55 up a hill will cause it to down-shift if the cable is too long. Simple remedy -- shorten it half a turn until it doesn't down-shift pulling that hill! You just don't want to shorten the cable below two turns after loose pin as that will cause the trans to slip more when taking off and at low speeds.
Frank Swygert
mazenoex View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mazenoex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2021 at 7:21am
Depending on the transmission condition, expect to pay a transmission shop anywhere from $400 (transmission already removed and ready for them to work on) to $1200 if they have to pull it, fix, reinstall, etc.  I found a shop that had a few "seasoned veterans" working there who knew these BW transmissions.  They even still had the parts/seals in stock.  
1965 Rambler Marlin
Johnny66 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2021 at 4:56pm
Old school mechanics are hard to reach, and never call back. Waiting on estimate.
Johnny66 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2021 at 7:33pm
Thanks. That makes sense of it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic