TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'64 Rambler American 220 Daily Driver

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '64 Rambler American 220 Daily Driver
    Posted: Jan/31/2023 at 2:53pm
Hello everyone. I have been reading this forum for a few years, and decided to register at some point to keep up with new replies easier, so I figured why not to write something as well. Maybe some of you might find this interesting.

So, a quick introduction first, I'm 26 year old guy from Finland (yes, up there in the Northern Europe) and I've been working on old American cars basically for my whole life. Dad has always had them so it was kind of natural to me even as a little kid. I've had and still have mostly Chevrolets, this American is my first AMC product (and definitely not the last Wink ) and nowadays I even have one Ford in the garage...

Anyway, I've always had older American Cars as my daily driver. In January 2021 I thought it's time to change my '74 Chevy Malibu Classic Wagon that I used as my daily driver into something that gets a bit better gas mileage as the gas around here is quite expensive. I started to look for a '60s compact size car with a six cylinder engine and manual tranny. I got several offers, but this '64 American ended up being the best deal on all of them so I bought it. Plus that I had always liked the look of '64 and '65 Rambler American.

So the car is a '64 Rambler American 220 2D Sedan with 196 OHV engine and T-96 transmission. Overall in pretty good, factory stock condition. The car was sold new here in Finland in 1964, it still has original register plates and everything on it.

So on the last weekend of January 2021 we went to pick up the car. It was about 225 miles drive home. The only issue was that there was plenty of snow everywhere and the American didn't have any winter tires. Luckily there was a car repair shop a few miles from the seller's house and they said they could mount the winter tires on the wheels the same day. So that's where we had our first stop.

And here is the Rambler with fresh winter tires:

The drive home went very well with no issues at all.

The next couple of days went fast, basically just checking out the car and the overall condition of it. A proper wash was done and that made a huge difference. Of course we were also cruisin' with it a lot. Here we are at a nostalgic "Gulf Bar" with a couple of friends.

One weekend after that I had the time to wax the paint job... That made also a big difference.

Here is also a picture of the engine bay. Runs nicely, just needs some cleanup...

Interior is fairly good, too. The front seat has a destroyed upholstery but otherwise not too bad...

The whole winter was actually really trouble free. Exhaust pipe started leaking once, but that was an easy fix. Other than that I only had to do routine maintenance, like engine oil, filters, replace coolant and that kind of little stuff.

In the spring I had to start looking for another set of wheels for the summer tires. Luckily I was able to find these 14" Rambler steelies from a friend.

Wheels ready for sandblasting...

The wheels were sandblasted and painted with a gloss black powdercoat. Tires are 185/80/14.

And when the snow was finally gone, it was time to put them on.

Ok, I guess here's the start, I'll continue the story later.Wink If someone made it this far without falling asleep, congrats!
I hope someone finds this interesting even though it's not really a restoration project or anything. Just trying to keep an old car in good shape and on the road where it belongs.Smile
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2023 at 3:54pm
 Nice looking car, I like it! 
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2023 at 8:55pm
That is  a great looking car.  I love the low-line Americans with those clean flanks having not stainless or chrome to clutter up the lines.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2023 at 8:33am
Ramblers had great heaters so you should be warm for winter driving. Nice car.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2023 at 9:21am
AND I doubt that engine’s ever been rebuilt in almost 60 years and it’s still running. 

Very impressive 

LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2023 at 6:54pm
Love that car!  I can't believe it looks and runs so good with 60 years of Finland winters.  Congratulations on a great buy!
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
garweb3 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garweb3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2023 at 7:31pm
Almost 60 years old and no rust? I'm envious.
1974 Javelin AMX
1980 Spirit AMX
1987 Jeep Comanche Sportruck
1320 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2023 at 2:17pm
Thanks guys, yes, it is warm in the winter. In fact, the coldest weather I've driven it was -15 F and I couldn't keep the heater on full power...

And by looking at the engine bay I believe it has not been rebuilt. The previous owners have been taking a really good care of it. And that's what I try to do as well.Wink

Someone had installed two mufflers right under the driver's seat. Sometime during the first spring the exhaust started leaking from between the two mufflers...

One of the mufflers was already quite rusty so I decided to replace it.

Now the exhaust was quiet again like it should.

During the summer I felt like something was loose on driver's side front suspension. Found out that my Trunnion bushing was completely wasted. Luckily a friend had one set of them in stock and sold it to me with a reasonable price.

Replacing the bushing was a lot easier than expected. And there was a big improvement in the ride quality. I changed only the driver's side bushing, because the co-driver's side bushing was still in good shape.

On my summer vacation I decided to cruise around and check out a couple of car museums. Really hot day, but had a good time cruisin' the highway with windows open.

We ordered some parts from Galvin's during the summer. Replaced the old radiator cap and license plate light with original parts.

Then in August it was time for AMC Club Finland's Cruising and Camping event. I thought I need to touch up the car a bit so first I polished up the hubcaps and painted the centers around the Rambler "R" logo red.

Then some Wash & Wax and other cleanup.Wink

Had a great time at the event, meeting new and old friends and saw bunch of cool AMC cars too!

...To Be Continued...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic