TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

62 rambler classic carb

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shade tree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 62 rambler classic carb
    Posted: May/15/2022 at 9:49am
Hey I'd like to ask a question. The Carter I believe is a yf on a 62 196 straight six, The carb is still on the car so may be I should have waited to ask but it has a see thru plastic round piece on the front and fuel feed in right side linkage in the back and I believe it's a vacuum on the left heavy insulation on it I'm just a old man have enough since to ask before I remove it
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2022 at 11:49am
Not sure what you are asking, but a '62 Classic would have come with a Holley 1908 style 1 barrel, or a (more rare) Carter WCD 2-barrel.
If there's a clear rectangular bowl on the front, it's a glass bowl (not plastic) Holley. There were no Carter YF's on any '62 Rambler.

Are you asking about replacing? Rebuilding? What do you need to know?
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2022 at 11:57am
That glass bowl Holley 1908 carb is sought after in the hobby.  The advantage of the glass bowl is that it does not warp like the die cast aluminum bowl which is now more common.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
Shade tree View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shade tree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2022 at 1:24pm
Thank you I guess I was not exactly sure I've just recently got started and I'm a little over whelmed I have had to get a key that would work and I've pulled plugs they looked great cleaned number 6 had a little carbon built up and I'm cleaning all electric connections I've drains eng pan dropped Marvel's on top of the piston's and my next step is to make sure carb is fit then after double checking TDC on #1 to see how close it is I plan on hooking a boat tank up to see if she fires I have a good feeling all lights even came on turns worked probably have to drop the gas tank out to clean and hopefully start on chassis. Ive never done a restoration so If any body see a mistake in my plan please let me know I'm 61 and learn something new every day thank you for the carb clarification. Shadetree
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2022 at 9:03pm
Shadetree,
That Holley carb is rebuildable, assuming it's complete and everything moves as it should. You could try running it with a line from a remote tank.

Glad you are digging into a project little by little! And don't be afraid to ask more questions here. You sound like you are being methodical!

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2022 at 9:29pm
You are smarter than many if you know not to run on the old gas in the tank!! 
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Shade tree View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shade tree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2022 at 8:05am
Success I had a great time putting the kit in the holley carb I guess working on motorcycle carbs was better experience than I thought I put the carb on the car and by the way every time I handled the glass float cover I instantly was nervous. Any way since I was so excited I took supply from the tank loose under firewall at a hose and put it in a gas can I used a little 2 cycle gas to prime the carb and maybe 30 seconds of cranking and she fired off smoking to bet heck but cleared up water circulated and let it run in 1st a little so now I'm going to drop the tank I figure why take a chance on getting a bunch of crap in the system man working on this is really fun and I have a long way to go thanks again for carb clarification.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic