TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'60 American 2Door Wagon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hwy61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2020 at 7:27am
Thanks all! It'll be a project for sure.
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2020 at 9:47am
I have no hands on experience with this engine but as I see it, it appears that 'people' might have a problem with how they seal the intake cover onto the head.

Since that cover gets sandwiched underneath several headbolts... if the gasket is too squishy... man that's gonna mess with the head bolt torque in a bad way. (like... never use 'modern' silicone!)

I think the head bolts should be torqued when the engine is cold, because the aluminum cover plate has a greater expansion rate it'll 'grow' when hot and give loose bolts when cold?

I bet the 'Best Gasket' intake cover gasket for this engine is very thin, for this same reason.

I think I might only use a fine mist of "3M Super 77" spray glue for gasket sealer and glue it to the intake cover only

Then I'd wipe a thin coat of engine oil on the cylinder head side prior to bolting on -for expansion and contraction -so the gasket can move as the engine goes through it's heat cycles...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another problem might stem from using 'modern' copper coat spray for head gasket sealer...

Only spray on a fine mist... don't spray it on thick where it looks like gold paint!

-because it's not paint... it's a non-hardening substance, more like a liquid

That same 'liquid quality' with allows the copper coat to do it's job is same liquid quality that will cause a leak if there's too much sprayed onto the gasket; the non hardening 'adhesive' can't stand up to the forces of combustion -it'll blow out and cause a leak

It's definitely a case where 'more is not better'

-I think it is a case of using 'modern' gasket sealers on an old antique engine.

-only spray on a fine mist of copper coat head gasket sealer.

(they used to use 'Indian Head Shellac'?)

It does raise the question of 'can I use wet gold spray paint? for head gasket sealer?'

-whereas the gold paint, when dried, would be more resistant to compression, as opposed to a non-hardening liquid like 'copper coat'?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not recommending gold paint. -just for purpose of discussion/comparison

Edited by amcenthusiast - Dec/26/2020 at 9:49am
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
hwy61 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hwy61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2020 at 5:14pm
Wondering if anyone can help with decoding my door card?

Body 78319
Model 6004
Trim 1
Paint# 20

Thanks!
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2020 at 9:12pm
Those numbers don't tell a whole lot. It was the 78319 body built at the Kenosha or the Milwaukee body plant --  there is nothing to distinguish between the two until 1975. Model breaks down as 1960 (60), series 01 (0), two door wagon (4 -- only 1954-63). The trim code indicates the type of upholstery Though your car is a 60 it uses the older 59 trim code. 1 indicates it's vinyl in the Deluxe (base) trim. A four character system was used starting early in calendar year 1960, so yours was probably produced before then (1960 mode production started in August 1959). Paint color numbers were reused over the years. For 1960 it would have been "Dartmouth Gray Light".
Frank Swygert
hwy61 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hwy61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2020 at 8:13am
Thanks Frank!

I'll be taking it back to "Dartmouth Gray Light"

Cheers,
Pete
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic