TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 5,000 stall, what RPM street launch trans brake??
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

5,000 stall, what RPM street launch trans brake??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2021 at 9:53pm
I haven't tried the trans brake on the street yet with the street tires, quite frankly because it took me a lifetime to finally get a car of this caliber and I didn't want to blow it up and put it in the shop right away, wanted to enjoy it a few years first! (and it's plenty fast without trans brake launches)

Before I converted it to "street only" after purchasing it, it did wheelies on the strip when launching on slicks, so I am assuming on the street tires it's going to spin them like crazy and not hook up if I were to do a full on trans brake launch (or probably any launch).

So let me ask a related but slightly different question...if/when I do blow this trans someday, my car originally was a factory 4spd car and I would like to restore it with a factory 4spd set up, again just for street use, can the stock 4spd handle the 401/601 hp?

Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2021 at 10:22am
You will get a million opinions. Mine is in general no.
It all depends on the clutch, and the more streetable the clutch the harder on parts. In addition in my opinion the original T10 sucks and you don't want it anyhow.

For reference my Rambler is set up as a street car and it is a stick. It is 567 hp, and runs 11 flat @ 126 in street trim, so clearly is a lot slower ET than it should be, but that is the sacrifice for streetability.

I have a TKO600 with the liberty shifting upgrade, and I use a "streetable" Mcleod Street Extreme 10.95" diaphragm clutch, which is an 11" clutch on a 10 1/2" pressure plate pattern. It all works fairly well and has withstood 560 ft lbs and the pedal load is acceptable. The diaphragm clutch is a poor idea for the strip, and I acknowledge that to keep the pedal load acceptable. The rest of the stuff behind the tranny is pretty good, and so far it has all held up fine. On the pavement shiner tires it is almost dangerous for tire spin. Even in 3rd gear it simply blows the tires off.

Back when I had the Borg and Beck clutch and the T10 I actually broke off the clutch pedal - this setup is a million times better, and the overdrive tranny is just a miraculous improvement over the T10.
kibler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kibler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2021 at 10:53am
I agree with Parkman. I broke 3 T-10’s with a decent tire before I gave up the battle and went to an auto. 
Kibler 
DragRacingSpirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2021 at 1:25pm
I have never used a transbrake on the street. Cannot see any reason and it would be a giant pain in the rump. With just 500 HP in a 70 AMX driving the street was an adventure...and you better be minding the dust, dirt, etc on the highway because it would get away from you with street slicks, if you weren't paying close attention to everything on the road.

I would highly recommend that you stay with an automatic......1st choice would be a good old turbo 400. With the correct selection of stock parts, that were made through the years, it will hold up to 600 HP no problem if built correctly. I would also add a hd sprag while rebuilding it and a good ATI converter. Tell them exactly what you are doing with the car and the specs and they will pick you out the correct one.
Best 1/4 mile 8.99, 1/8 mile 5.71, 60 foot 1.27, no power adders
XJ6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XJ6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2021 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by DragRacingSpirit DragRacingSpirit wrote:

I have never used a transbrake on the street. Cannot see any reason and it would be a giant pain in the rump. With just 500 HP in a 70 AMX driving the street was an adventure...and you better be minding the dust, dirt, etc on the highway because it would get away from you with street slicks, if you weren't paying close attention to everything on the road.

I would highly recommend that you stay with an automatic......1st choice would be a good old turbo 400. With the correct selection of stock parts, that were made through the years, it will hold up to 600 HP no problem if built correctly. I would also add a hd sprag while rebuilding it and a good ATI converter. Tell them exactly what you are doing with the car and the specs and they will pick you out the correct one.

Totally agree...a transbrake on the street is asking for trouble with that much HP and why tear up a trans just to have it..... Both of my AMC cars run a manual body 727 and 998 on the street with 10" converters and ratchet shifters that give me all the fun and control I need. Both transmissions have LBA valve bodies, a billet front drum and the 727 a bolt in super sprag for safety. A stock T-10 is useless with that much HP. I blew the 1-2 shifter fork in a stock 360 74 AMX I had years ago racing a stock 69 Chevelle.
RandyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RandyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2021 at 9:20pm
Funny, nobody said that 5000 stall in a street car is almost undrivable in normal driving and no one asked what gears or what was done to the car. That stall speed is crazy for a a car on the street, you will burn up your TC real quick, then your tranny. Having said that, your TC goes hand in hand with engine and rearend, so it sounds like you have a redlight warrior and launch is always 1k to 1200 rpm's lower than stall speed, which will kill your your tires quick and normal take off from a light will destroy your TC in short order. Continued use of 5k stall will ruin your tranny in normal driving, think of it as driving in 1st gear all day. I do not know your car specs, but unless you run 4+ gears and 500+ hp engine, get rid of that TC and get one that matches your engine and gears,
Randy B
68 Javelin SST 343
73 Charger Rallye 340 triple Blk
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2021 at 9:30pm
He did say the car was capable of wheel stands on the strip, which sort of goes hand in hand with plenty of power and steep gears.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2021 at 9:32pm
Sometimes you just need the bills for broken parts to come in for reality to set in.LOL
Dan390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2021 at 10:31pm
It's a stroked 401 dyno'd at 601 hp, TH400 3 speed auto w/trans brake and 5,000 stall, trans cooler, 4:10 gears in a 9" well built Ford 9" rear end and Cal Trak suspension.

I didn't build it, bought it this way, original owner built it primarily for the strip but did street drive it, and kept breaking 4 speeds at the strip over the years he told me, I presume AMC factory style nothing aftermarket, so he finally put in the current auto trans it has now, I would guess the trans is 5 years old or more in the car already in it's current configuration.

I have driven it 3 seasons now (winter shuts down driving old cars here) without any issues and it's a blast, but I realize that stall is eventually a killer. I don't use the trans brake but thought it might be fun when giving certain people rides and such, but overall I don't want to break the car just for that either.

Part of the reason for my questions is that if I have to do anything to the trans, I'd rather do whatever I want long term even if that means swapping to a different trans, because of health issues I cannot do this kind of work on my cars anymore, so if I have to pay a guy I only want to do it once.

Good to know about the T-10's, all our past/current AMC's were auto's so I have never actually used one myself to know how strong or weak they are in cars like this, thanks for the feedback on that! I guess I won't be in a hurry to pick one up.

I'd love a Tremec 6 speed or something similar, but this car is so nice and original overall I would hate to be chopping the floor to fit one in.

Hey I finally figured out how to post pics again, been a long time since I was able to do that. Doing what it does best!

Edited by Dan390 - Apr/01/2021 at 10:38pm
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2021 at 12:09am
That is one awesome car, remember it well from the forum days of old.

Drive and enjoy as is would be my call unless you specifically want to tame it down more for the street.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic