TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 5,000 stall, what RPM street launch trans brake??
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

5,000 stall, what RPM street launch trans brake??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5,000 stall, what RPM street launch trans brake??
    Posted: Mar/24/2021 at 8:48pm
My car came with a 5,000 stall converter, has a trans brake on a TH400 and was drag raced at the track, I only street drive it though.

So my question is, when I want to have some fun and do a trans brake launch, what RPM should I go to before letting it go?

Can I do less than 5,000, is that going to hurt anything? I know a lot of guys just mash the gas pedal right before green and then "go" in an actual drag race, but on the street I won't be up against a tree, just me having a good time.

I know overall this is rough on a car, so I just don't want to do anything that might cause even more damage or wear than normal. Sometimes I might want to do a lesser launch or other times a full blown launch, depending on who's with me for a ride or the mood I am in.

I also run a street legal drag tire (not a full slick), 4:10 gears in a 9" Ford, with Cal Trac rear suspension.

What are my options to have some street fun?  Thanks!
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2021 at 9:43pm
Usually it best to leave about 900-1000 rpms below the stall speed so it allows the convertor to flash.

Tom

Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2021 at 9:49pm
I don’t use a that high a converter stall for the street. It will be slipping all the time in normal driving, and that creates lots of heat.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
Dan390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2021 at 10:39pm
Normally I wouldn't either but it came this way when I bought it, I've actually only noticed slipping in 2nd gear, rarely, and at a certain speed (I forget what it was, been a long winter!), so I just speed up and go into 3rd.

For sure the car is meant more for actual drag use than street, but the former owner used to street drive it from time to time, and also to and from the track from what I understand also, it behaves very well in every respect, other than eventually I am sure things will wear sooner as a result.

On the other hand, if I were drag racing all the time, things would get broken probably every weekend! LOL

Also thanks Tom for the RPM advice, I appreciate it! I'm open to any other advice too if anyone has different experience?

Edited by Dan390 - Mar/24/2021 at 10:41pm
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2021 at 11:06pm
street car with nasty habit I love them always on the jagged edge and ready for a race that for me I would run a good trans cooler for that application
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
XJ6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XJ6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2021 at 3:31am
Originally posted by mixed up mixed up wrote:

street car with nasty habit I love them always on the jagged edge and ready for a race that for me I would run a good trans cooler for that application

More like 2 LARGE coolers...I have 2 on a 10" 3000 converter
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2021 at 10:18am
Full throttle on the brake is very hard on things, and generates incredible heat. All the engines power is being turned into heat, 1hp is 746 watts, so 400 hp is a 300,000 watt electric heater in the tranny! No more than a second or 2 absolute max. And it is a tremendous impact load on everything; you need the best of parts.

In normal driving the converter may really not be that bad. I know quite a number of people running good quality 8" converters on the street without much problem. I cannot stress how much difference the quality makes. If the stall has been achieved on a too large a diameter converter by screwing up the internal geometry you have a transmission melting HP eating piece of garbage. I have seen them eat 100 hp and actually burn the red dye out of the fluid.

It also makes a difference in gears, weight, etc. A higher ratio requires the converter to transmit more torque, high stall and an OD is a bad idea. I've found a good converter is really not too bad, but might have some noticeable slip if you are putting some load on it say pulling up a hill in a higher gear.

A brake is really a bracket racing tool, and normally does not make much performance difference. I would recommend a 2 step rev limiter so when the brake is on the engine is on the low side limiter and not pulling so hard. I found on my car a 4200rpm low side rev limiter on the brake worked well. This was with a very very good 8" converter, about 5700 stall. My car full throttle on the brake was too violent and it was slower because the stockish suspension could not deal with the impact. Not applicable on the street, but a 2 step is a great tool for controlling reaction time.

You can adjust the 2 step up or down to find the sweet spot for your car.
Dan390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2021 at 8:54pm
Thanks again, I should have mentioned it does have (1) trans cooler.

I too love street cars that are really drag cars, I never stop smiling when we cruise it, and when we cut it loose the entire planet just goes away and life is GOOD!

I'm 601hp on this car so I appreciate the tech advice, it's built extremely well, and I know street driving is hard on these set ups so I'm just trying to preserve it as long as I can.
ajzamc360 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajzamc360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2021 at 4:00am
the harder you leave, the harder it leaves. 
if you can actually get it to hook on the street from 5k, thats impressive. 
i can't leave in either car on any surface other than a prepped strip off my brakes, without spinning
i can't wind up slow in first, shift to second and then put my foot in it without spinning on the street (powerglide in both cars)
and i'm not batting much more hp than you. 
if your playing on the street, don't put yourself on the brake for 10 seconds. 
get on the button, get the rpm, get off. 
converters are no fun to change. i can have my glide out in alone in 25 minutes, but not because i like to, but because ive gotten good at it. 
-Broke 'N' $till $pendin' Racing
DragRacingSpirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2021 at 3:36pm
I have run my 8" ATI Treemaster on the street alot.

Never had a problem.
Best 1/4 mile 8.99, 1/8 mile 5.71, 60 foot 1.27, no power adders
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic