TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

4bbl on a 4.0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2023 at 11:36am
ALL 195.6 OHV 1V carb models had the heat tube in them. The 2V versions did not, probably because they hindered flow too much with the larger carb. It's a fuel economy thing. Heat makes the fuel vaporize better. It also warms the engine up much faster.

The big plenum 4V conversion would probably run a lot better after the engine was up to full operating temp, not so good until then. I ran a Clifford intake on a J-10 truck with 258. It had bad cold weather running, took quite a while to warm up and was a bit temperamental until it did. I ran a 5/8" copper tube under the intake connected to the heater hose, much like the 195.6 heat tube but UNDER the intake. I just used tubing clamps and small self tapping screws to hold it on. Put a bit of sealer on the screw threads (tapped them in, then removed and put sealer on threads before reinstalling). Never had any issues, and it warmed up faster and ran better. Water only flowed in the tube when the heater was on. Left it on in winter, not needed in warmer weather.
Frank Swygert
wittsend View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2023 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

ALL 195.6 OHV 1V carb models had the heat tube in them......

Interesting... . Is it possible there was a different manifold for warmer climates? The engine in my car now (date coded 1964) has a manifold with the pads for the tube, but they are not drilled.

'63 American Hardtop
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2023 at 7:32pm
I do not know if heat would have done it or not. Enough probably would have because I am pretty convinded the fuel is falling out of suspension

The engine is up to temp on my dyno

At idle and reving it without a load on it, it seems fine. Durring the pill it stumbles like a valve float sound but it is not valve float. 

I have a log style early 4.0 intake that looks like it can be made to work better as a 4bbl 

Does not look like a major job to mod it but a few hours anyway. I am at the point with this engine where I have to get to a conclusion whether the log works or a new intake is purchased 

Learned a lot about these intakes but surely not a good time for lessons 
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2023 at 8:40pm
wittsend -- all the 1V carb models I've had had the heater tube, and the TSMs (I just checked 64 and 65 American) all state that the heater tube was used in all 1V models. Obviously this isn't quite true, as you have one that's not fitted with it. Yours being a CA model probably makes the difference, but it's not mentioned in the TSMs. It could be a warm weather deletion, or CA models only in 64. No mention of specific CA equipment until 1966, when Air Guard (air injection) was introduced for CA only cars. You mentioned it's a 64 date code engine. 65 models started leaving the plant about September 64, so it could be in a 65 model year car unless dated before September. Not sure that would make a difference though.
Frank Swygert
wittsend View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2023 at 9:58am
Farna,
 Thanks for the information. I can't find the dates at the moment but I believe the engine code was between April and June, but not beyond the mid-year 1964. As well the car I pulled it out of was a '64.  All this time I thought the "tubed" intake was the rare one. Currently I have the trifecta with the non-tube, tubed and a 2 bbl. at my disposal.

jcisworthy - sorry to sidetrack the post. When it got to heating the intake and the variety of manifolds for the 196 OHV it triggered my thoughts. Hopefully you will get the issues sorted as to how you will proceed and have success with your 4 bbl. adaptation.
'63 American Hardtop
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2023 at 6:36pm
Modified older log style for 4 barrel

The ports are about in the center of the "log" so I made a slot with an end mill and added a length of 1.5 x .125 thick hot rolled flat bar to raise the floor 

I milled the original TBI mounting and opened up the top of the intake for the 4 barrel spacer

Added time serts to the spacer for mounting threads

Epoxied it together. The green is splash zone z-spar the black is metal pannel glue. That pannel glue is some stuff! 

No, I am not worried about the epoly failing

Filled the plenum floor with z-spar to make a gradual transition to the flat bar inserts 

Carb mounting it primaries out secondaries facing the valve cover 

rbjracing.com
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2023 at 6:39pm
First set of pictures shows the 1.5 x .125 thick flat steel insert to raise the floor of the plenum to match the floor of the runners better

rbjracing.com
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2023 at 6:41pm
More of the floor in the plenum

rbjracing.com
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2023 at 6:43pm
Plenum and four hole spacer on 

rbjracing.com
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2023 at 6:46pm
This was a piece of 1/2 wide flat bar drilled to fit two of the factory TBI mounting 

It was used to bridge the gap from offsetting the spacer out to get the butterfly opening close to center in the plenum 

It was also used as a stop for the carb spacer 

rbjracing.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic