TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain > Eagle and Jeep Specific drive-train issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

42RE/NP242 in an eagle?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 42RE/NP242 in an eagle?
    Posted: Jan/23/2019 at 2:10pm
Hey Guys,
First thing off, Ive got an 83 eagle with a 4.0 from a 93 cherokee, with the intake, accessory drive, ect off the 4.2, carbed and hei.
So I was doing my usual mulling around on craigslist, and I came across an add for a non-functioning 4.0, and working 42RE and NP242, for a price reflecting my budget. Now I have been looking for an NP242 for a few months now to replace my worn out old 219, but the thought crossed my mind that if I bought the entire package, I may finally be able to replace the worn out old 998 with a somewhat newer trans, that has overdrive, and may or may not have a lower 1st gear, and also have enough pieces to put the 4.0 fuel injection back on.

Anyways, my question to you fine folks it this: Has anyone had any luck putting a 42RE into an eagle yet? I know the AW4 is a much more popular swap, and Id prefer that, but this is whats available to me, and since its all together, I dont have to worry about compatibility issues like flexplates and input shafts. From what I can tell, the 42RE is a bit longer than the AW4 or 998, and Id have to modify the crossmember, and have some driveshaft work done, but that is acceptable for the scope of this project and all the benefits I could gain. Any nuggets of wisdom for me?
1983 Eagle Wagon
4.0 from 93 cherokee
AW4, NP242, and EFI from 99 cherokee
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic