TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

401 Cherokee engine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobinPDX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 401 Cherokee engine
    Posted: Feb/13/2021 at 1:00am
Looking an engine from a 1970 Cherokee, the 401, Has everything on it and runs, milage unknown.
So I’m not too familiar with the engine differences Jeep 401 VS a car 401.
Is it that,  a 401 Is a 401,  minus manifold fits etc?
Is $1K reasonablw price for such a creature?
Thx

Rob Wiley
iapexl8r View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iapexl8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2021 at 5:55am
the "long block" is exactly the same long block, as in oil pan to intake. there may be some differences in the crank flange due to the year but i do not know for sure.
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2021 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by RobinPDX RobinPDX wrote:

Looking an engine from a 1970 Cherokee, the 401, Has everything on it and runs, milage unknown.
So I’m not too familiar with the engine differences Jeep 401 VS a car 401.
Is it that,  a 401 Is a 401,  minus manifold fits etc?
Is $1K reasonablw price for such a creature?
Thx

A 1970 Cherokee would not have come from the factory with a 401 so it must be a transplant. The 401 was used from 1974-79 in the big Wagoneer, Cherokee, and J series trucks.

As stated It is the same basic engine as an AMC car, except the oil pan is different. The drain plug on a Jeep 401 is on the side of the sump, where the car oil pan has the drain plug in the center rear of the sump. The Jeep oil pan also has been formed for extra clearance for front differential travel. 

Dennis     

Edited by THE MENACE - Feb/13/2021 at 7:32pm
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
RobinPDX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobinPDX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2021 at 8:36pm
I must have been told wrong Year on the Cherokee, as the person whom has this stuff, likely is misinformed actually. 

Rob Wiley
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2021 at 8:47pm
70 model year should have still had a Buick 350.
the_j View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote the_j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2021 at 11:32am
Luckily in the case of AMC engines, all you have to do is look at the side of the block to verify what size it is... Heavy488 is right, if its factory, it would have a buick 350, so use your diligence. As far as I know, a 401 is a 401 and everything is the same except for small amounts of 71 engines had a smaller CC head that bumped compression, but I really doubt seeing one of those in a jeep Cherokee. In my part of the world, a 401 for 1k running will get snatched up in a couple of hours, the most recent one I saw was 500 bucks, and it sold within 30 minutes of being posted online. good luck!
RobinPDX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobinPDX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2021 at 8:35pm
I actually looked at an old rust heap 1968 truck Jeep, can’t recall if J10 or what,  the guy swapped In a 401, Had another 401 spare and a bunch of other pieces too.
 That thing was the epitome of a swamp horse brute, with Way plenty of power.
wanted $4.500 for it. 
Might still have it, yet it's in need of full brake system and exhaust.
Yet that stuff is relatively easy to do.
The rust out on everything else was the deal killer part.

Rob Wiley
Firecopemt View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firecopemt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2021 at 8:27pm
Not sure if I answered you but a guy in FLA had 4 or 5 $01s for sale. A few short blocks and at least 1 ready to run. Price depends on the seller, usually your going to see "rare" or my fav, "extremely rare" by the douchebag selling it. I'm not 100% sure but I think this member might still have one. Try contacting kaiser1948 here on this site. He has a treasure trove of stuff, and ain't a douche. One person was selling a 390 that looked like it was used as a boat anchor for a long time and wanted $4400. Now that's funny. Good luck.
Heywood Jablomi
1948kaiser View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1948kaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2021 at 6:04am
all the heads and blocks and complete engine have been sold.
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2021 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Firecopemt Firecopemt wrote:

Price depends on the seller, usually your going to see "rare" or my fav, "extremely rare" by the douchebag selling it.

You mean like this https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/pts/d/phoenix-amc-block-standard-bore/7344605878.html
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic