TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

401 cam paint mark

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xspiriment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 401 cam paint mark
    Posted: May/02/2021 at 9:35am
401 cam paint mark (white) .Pulled this cam from a 304 i bought about 3 weeks ago. I have been searching the web for 401 cam specs and id find some help here. I do know the lift is .456 checking with my dial gauge. I tried checking the .050 to .050 duration with a degree wheel and keep coming up with 263 degrees going from .050 over the nose and back to .050. I know this is not the correct duration but does this tell you guys what it might be. I believe is just a stock 401 cam. Found one search mentioned the paint mark for 401 and said to be white mark. This 304 engine also had 502 head on it and yes every valve clearanced itself by hitting the bore edge. If the cam info sound like rubbish i will continue on. thanks Paul
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2021 at 10:47am
I am not sure about the white paint but the 401 cam has a ring located in between the first two lobes.
IMG_4600 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2021 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by xspiriment xspiriment wrote:

401 cam paint mark (white) .Pulled this cam from a 304 i bought about 3 weeks ago. I have been searching the web for 401 cam specs and id find some help here. I do know the lift is .456 checking with my dial gauge. I tried checking the .050 to .050 duration with a degree wheel and keep coming up with 263 degrees going from .050 over the nose and back to .050. I know this is not the correct duration but does this tell you guys what it might be. I believe is just a stock 401 cam. Found one search mentioned the paint mark for 401 and said to be white mark. This 304 engine also had 502 head on it and yes every valve clearanced itself by hitting the bore edge. If the cam info sound like rubbish i will continue on. thanks Paul
I have posted the 401 cam specs previously.

IO: -(7) BTDC
IC: 34 ATDC

EO: 42 BBDC
EC: -(14) ABDC

Duration: 207/208 degrees 

Overlap: -(21) degrees

The above are all at .050

Lobe center angle 114 degrees
Intake centerline 110 degrees
Exhaust centerline 118 degrees

Lift with 1.6 rockers measured .456
xspiriment View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xspiriment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2021 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Sonic Silver Sonic Silver wrote:

[QUOTE=xspiriment]401 cam paint mark (white) .Pulled this cam from a 304 i bought about 3 weeks ago. I have been searching the web for 401 cam specs and id find some help here. I do know the lift is .456 checking with my dial gauge. I tried checking the .050 to .050 duration with a degree wheel and keep coming up with 263 degrees going from .050 over the nose and back to .050. I know this is not the correct duration but does this tell you guys what it might be. I believe is just a stock 401 cam. Found one search mentioned the paint mark for 401 and said to be white mark. This 304 engine also had 502 head on it and yes every valve clearanced itself by hitting the bore edge. If the cam info sound like rubbish i will continue on. thanks Paul
I have posted the 401 cam specs previously.

IO: -(7) BTDC
IC: 34 ATDC

EO: 42 BBDC
EC: -(14) ABDC

Duration: 207/208 degrees 

Overlap: -(21) degrees

The above are all at .050

Lobe center angle 114 degrees
Intake centerline 110 degrees
Exhaust centerline 118 degrees

Lift with 1.6 rockers measured .456

This is one of the postings i found while searching. I am going to reset the dial gauge and check again. Was thinking using this in my j4500 jeep with the LS rockers for a little more lift but don't want to much duration. Thanks SC397 and Sonic for the replys
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xspiriment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2021 at 1:10pm
Oh, and checked for a ring as shown by Sc397, no ring.
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2021 at 1:34pm
I bought an NOS 401 cam from an AMC dealer back in the 1970's , and never installed it until a few years ago. Sometime in the 1990's , I sent the cam to Kip Fabre, owner of Cam Motion in Baton Rouge, Louisiana for him to read the specs on his Cam Doctor machine that was invented by Quadrant Scientific. I have the open/close events to a tenth of a degree, and the lift to 4 or 5 decimal points. It seems like the lift was more like .456/.460 rounded off, but I don't have the sheet with me at the moment.
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2021 at 2:55pm
I just checked my 401 cam and it has the same ring between the first 2 lobes as the one Rick posted a picture of. Also, it has a casting number of #3198817 on the shaft between lobes. Whether or not that is a casting number for all AMC cams or just for a 401, I don't know.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xspiriment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2021 at 3:23pm
Its possible that its an aftermarket cam but i never seen after market cam with paint marks, ever. No shops around here have a cam doctor, that sure would be a certain way of finding out what this is. Thanks again Sonic.
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2021 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by xspiriment xspiriment wrote:

Its possible that its an aftermarket cam but i never seen after market cam with paint marks, ever. No shops around here have a cam doctor, that sure would be a certain way of finding out what this is. Thanks again Sonic.
Does it have any numbers, either between the lobes or on the end?
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xspiriment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2021 at 8:32am
Checked the cam good yesterday and had no stampings in it. Next to the paint mark is a cast in core num H1and the CWC a few inches from the back. The back of cam has the lug cut off with a grinder. Not sure who built this 304 but it was not a good combo. Think i pulled off half a tube of silicone sealer from the intake pan and timing cover, had no oil slinger in it. Any way thanks guys for your input. Paul
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic