TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

4 speed mish-mash

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 speed mish-mash
    Posted: Jun/24/2021 at 6:36pm
Is there anyone who an tell me if the bolt pattern for a pressure plate to an AMC flywheel is proprietary?  Since I cant find a working T10 new or old for under 2500 bucks, I'm looking at installing a Ford toploader out of a old Fairlane 427 project into my Javelin with a 360 currently sporting a A727 with a bad front seal.  The bellhousing, clutch linkage and pedal and a new billet flywheel are all taken care of.  I just need to find out if a PP for a 10.5-11" Ford will bolt on without drilling it, or what is the diameter of the PP hat, B&B or diaphragm style, so I can see about what throwout bearing is needed.  I was looking at Centerforce dual disc for the unit parts but havent heard back from an email inquiry yet.

thx!
72 Javelin SST P code 360/auto/AC/rear defrost /Go Pack/Polar White w blue cord interior.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2021 at 6:54pm
Just pulled out a couple of flywheels and clutches, The AMC V8 is equidistant 11-5/8".
So the Chevy/Dodge pressure plate should work and you can use almost any 10.5" friction disk that has the correct spline count for your application.

Should add that this is exactly what the person in the transmission shop did when i went for a clutch. Stated preference would be a McLeod diaphragm. He asked for make of motor 401 and transmission T5. Picked out of one box a pressure plate and pilot bearing, next box was a friction disk, organic with copper he stated would be best and a TOB. That was 12+ years ago and he knew his job well.

Edited by Trader - Jun/24/2021 at 7:20pm
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2021 at 8:02pm
I have a Legend SS700 trans in my Rambler.   It's a GM spec, so I have the GM/AMC QuickTime bell.  I bolted a Corvette 10.75" clutch and pressure plate to my AMC 390 flywheel with no problem.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2021 at 9:49pm
Standard AMC pressure plate pattern is 10 1/2 Borg and Beck or diaphragm - absolutely normal. Some Jeeps and also aftermarket flywheels can also have the 11" pattern.

Some of us do not like centerforce.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2021 at 10:02pm
Have to make a correction on that Ken. Some Jeep factory flywheels are dual pattern. One just went out with an 11" clutch that also had the bolt holes in the flywheel for the 10.5" clutch. This would be late 70's and early 80's CJ's. Did not get the measurement.
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2021 at 11:18pm
Sounds like a lot of work, put an add in the wanted section for a t10. many out there for a lot less than 2500$
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2021 at 2:14pm
What bellhousing are you using to bolt a Ford Toploader to an AMC V8??
"Prolly" is not a word.
CHAR View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2021 at 2:23pm
Thanks for all the replies.  
The chart from Modern really answered one question, and I guess I used wrong nomenclature about another:  When I said PP hat, I didn't mean the overall dimension of the PP unit, I'm looking for the diameter the circle of the prongs where the TO bearing rides.  I need to see if there's a bearing size that matches that circle and the bearing retainer for the 1 1/16" input shaft on the toploader.  I already have the transmission with a Hurst shifter and most of the linkage - just need the AMC z-bar and the pedal(s).

Thanks again
72 Javelin SST P code 360/auto/AC/rear defrost /Go Pack/Polar White w blue cord interior.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2021 at 3:13pm
I have the Jeep 11" B&B PP and Chev 12-5/8" Diaphragm PP here and both have an opening 2" for the fingers. The TOB outside contact area for both is also the same at 2-3/4".
CHAR View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2021 at 4:09pm
BINGO!  Thats the info I need to start looking.  Thanks Trader!

Char
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic