TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

360 oil pressure.. is... low

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candymancan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 360 oil pressure.. is... low
    Posted: Mar/11/2023 at 9:28pm
So long story short.. Got ny 90 Grand Wagoneer 6 years ago.  Had 112k miles.  No one took care of it.. 6th owner.. sold on ebay once to the 4th owner.. he did some repairs from receipts.   3rd owners covered up rust and other crap jist to make it oretty for ebay.   5th owner was a 20 year old kid who bought it because it looked cool.. So no one did anything to it.

Engine had a rusted fran filter.. oil was sludge..   engine pinged on 87.. and im sure they only put 87 in it.   I fixed everything on this Jeep.. leaf springs. Shocks. Rusted panels. Floors. Rusted frame rails.  Dropped gas tank repaired skid plate.. its in great shape now.  Looks great runs great minus the exhaust manifold and rear main leak that just aont stop fing leaking.

The heads when i took the valve covers off when i got it 6 years ago had thick butter like sludge inside i could scoop eith my fingers.   Oil pan did too.  But now its clean as a whistle

But the crank abd pistons looked fine.   The bearings also looked great... still silver.. even foggy still like theyre new bearings.   Oil pressure back then was 50psi driving hot.  And 30 idle in park at 1000 rpm.   And in gear at 650 rpm it was always around 20 psi.

Fast foward it has 150k miles now.   Still runs great drives great... i attempted my rear main seal a 2nd time.. still leaks of course.. but the bearings again still silverly looked good to me.  No copper.   My oil pressure though is low.

Hot idle in 650 rpm its below the first notch.  So 10psi or lower.  Hot idle in park 1000 rpm its 20-25 psi.   Driving its 45psi.  Doesnt go higher so 45 at 2000-3000-4000 rpm.

Is this engine done with oil pressure this low ?  Or what ?   Lile i said it drives fine.  Doesnt vibrate..  knock.  Tick.  Or have loss of power.

I will check compression again later but 4 years ago it was 150 accross the board.. but cylinder 8 was like 130.. Oh im using 10-30.  Thinking of switching to 10-40...  Its an amc 360 btw

Edited by Candymancan - Mar/11/2023 at 9:30pm
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2023 at 9:55pm
IIRC, a rule of thumb for oil pressure is 10 psi for every 1,000 rpm, so I'd say your not all that bad.
You might just try 10w-40 next oil change and see what happens.
Bill O.
70 AMX
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2023 at 11:53pm
Best to verify the oil pressure with a good mechanical gauge, but doesn't sound too bad to me, those numbers are not catastrophic, crank the idle up a touch perhaps.

I wouldn't sweat the compression either, can be hard to get good accurate results with this test.

By all means rebuild it if you are looking for an excuse to do so, otherwise drive on I reckon.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2023 at 12:47pm
When I had no other choice, my solution to low oil pressure was thicker oil.  The more oil clearance you have, the thicker the oil should be.  I had one car that pretty much needed 20W50.  I got a free case of Valvoline instead of the Kendall I had been running and the oil pressure dropped, so not all oil is the same even if it is the same weight.  Try 20W50 if you are not already.  15W50 Mobil 1 is what I run now.

Candymancan View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candymancan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2023 at 4:58pm
I know amc states 12 psi at 650rpm idle i believe in the tsm.. So i guess im not too far off..  but ya.  Ima juat keep on driving it.  Deff not after rebuilds.  I would like more power though.. this late year 90 360 has only 144hp.. its like a gutless pig..  pretty terrible.. especially when my wagoneer weighs 5500 lbs according to the scale ive been on

Edited by Candymancan - Mar/12/2023 at 5:05pm
rgsauger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgsauger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2023 at 10:53pm
Are you factory Efi or 2 bbl?
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2023 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by Candymancan Candymancan wrote:

I know amc states 12 psi at 650rpm idle i believe in the tsm..
one easy trick to increase oil pressure at idle is to increase idle speed. not saying it
fixes the problem, but it works!
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
Candymancan View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candymancan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2023 at 11:54pm
360 was never electronic fuel injection.  Up till 91 (last year the grand wagoneer was made)  it was the standard 2 bbl motorcraft 2150 carb.    I have a 727, and 229 transfercase select trac i can flip to 4wd on the fly at 55mph with a flick of a switch.  (Newer style)  Dana 44s front and rear with no need for locking hubs.  So the hubs themselves have very little parts when you pack the wheel bearings.  The 360 in the wagoneers was also the last domestically produced carburated vehicle in the usa.    There are also rumors the last years in 91 some had 4 speed autos vs the 727

You know whats funny is my block doesnt even say 360.  It says 5.9L stamped on the side.. courtesy of chrysler

Same exact engine as in the 70s.   It just had a lot of emission junk on it.  Air pump/injection tubes.  Lower compression crappy pistons. Vacuum lines EVERYWHERE.  The factory airhat had so many vacuum lines.  Riser tube on ny manifold.  The flap on the y pipe.  The engine was a mess of tubing..  Put out only 144hp and 280ft lbs of torque,  they did this to keep it in emissions compliant..   I removed all of it and like a mile of vacuum lines.   I have my vacuum lines routed like a 70s 360.   Of course chrysler upgraded it with a later model more reliable a.c compressor.  And a 90amp alternator versus the 60 or whatever amp your guys 360s probly have or had.

Of course i put a 150 on mine.  New compressor but i decided to stick with r12.  As i have 5 cans of it laying around

Id honestly like to get more hp.   All the emission stuff is gone.  Even the egr is plugged ( never worked didnt feel like spending 100$ on a new one) .

Not sure how to get easy power other than maybe headers. And a 4bbl carb/intake.  Not sure if headers would be needed.. maybe even just a 4bbl ?  Even a good 30hp would be so much nicer if its possible with bolt ons.  I do realoze this edlebrock airhat might not be the best sucking hot engine bay heat in.  The factory air would get colder air through by the headlight.   But that factory hat is so restrictive

Ya but much higher than 650 and it idles too high in park.  And when you pop it in gear above 1000 rpm it kinda will slam in gear.  But ya i do think i might have too raise it a tad to keep it from going below 10

Edited by Candymancan - Mar/13/2023 at 12:18am
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2023 at 2:52am
Nice Jeep,
25+ years ago these were the go to for farmers in the area hauling family and livestock trailer.
Change the intake for a 4 barrel square bore and 600 CFM carburetor were first. Started with Holley's but they started producing poor carburetors back then and Edelboock's were the next go to. Now there are lots of choices.
This provided the biggest HP gain and more MPG at the time.
The factory camshaft in those is what really holds you back. That was next when the engine needed freshening.
Dual exhaust was in there also. 
Headers were never a thing as farmers wanted reliability, never raced, and headers at the time would not last long on gravel roads, in fields, through winters and running past the transfer case was a pain also.
Headers were for the CJ crowd that were mud racing on weekends.

Should add that we only had one speed shop within 50 miles and one farm/automotive machine shop. Balancing anything was done at the tire shop! There was no internet, just catalogues. He was an authorized Crane and Holley dealer and if you wanted a camshaft it was going to be a Crane and a Holley carburetor, until he got fed up with returns and started supplying Edelbrocks. Had a choice of 450, 600 or 750 CFM 4 barrel Carburetor, manual or electric choke. You had to drive 100+ miles if you wanted anything "different". His brother was the local wrecker, so 4 barrel intakes were a phone call, usually coming off cars. I had a standing order of one for my horde. Did do some Carters on 4150 intakes, but they were more work modifying an adapter, but worked well enough.

Edited by Trader - Mar/13/2023 at 9:51am
jblue1155 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblue1155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2023 at 9:09am
more power? change cam, you might find the oil pressure problem also.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic