TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

360 Intake Advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abernut360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 360 Intake Advice
    Posted: May/23/2023 at 8:35am
I'm rebuilding an AMC 360 to put in my 85 CJ7.  The engine is back from the machine shop and the reassembly has begun.  When I purchased the engine the guy gave me an Edelbrock Torker AMC manifold.  It is about 1,000 times lighter than the original one.  What I am not sure about is whether it is worth the "upgrade".  I'm way over budget so I may use the carb that came with the engine, motorcraft 5rha2.  It is a two barrel and doesn't fit on the Torker manifold.  

Can an adapter be purchased to make the Motorcraft work with the Torker manifold and is it even worth it. I love the idea of replacing the 250lb manifold.

Thanks

Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2023 at 9:03am
There was a excellent Holley manifold, perhaps you can find one as they are no longer in production.
It posessed very small runners, ideal for a jeep.

Failing that I would opt for a dual plane air gap from Eddelbrock.

IMO Have the Motorcraft encased in lucite and use it as a paperweight.

A 500 or 600 "Carter" from Eddelbrock would work well.
Gremlin Dreams
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2023 at 9:44am
Originally posted by Boris Badanov Boris Badanov wrote:

There was a excellent Holley manifold, perhaps you can find one as they are no longer in production.
It posessed very small runners, ideal for a jeep.

Failing that I would opt for a dual plane air gap from Eddelbrock.

IMO Have the Motorcraft encased in lucite and use it as a paperweight.

A 500 or 600 "Carter" from Eddelbrock would work well.
The Holley is called Holley Z street dominator. It works very well.I have one.
The performer is another one.
The airgap is another one.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2023 at 9:47am
Have a look at this thing:
We used to make carburetor adapters/spacers out of oak.
Normally IMO the torquer would not be a good idea but you live in Florida, so cold temperatures are not much of a problem.
A couple of hours and a piece of planed hardwood or engineered flooring will make a fine adapter and also be a good thermal insulator for the carburetor if you have the tools.
I'd give it a try on a budget. Not going to cost much and may perform well in your area.
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2023 at 9:55am
The Torker has an exhaust heat crossover as well as a provision for a stock hot air choke setup - interestingly, it’s the only Edelbrock AMC intake to have the latter:

Edited by sweatlock - May/23/2023 at 9:58am
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2023 at 9:59am
It's unlikely you will be able to buy a 4V to 2V adapter so you can mount your 2150 to the Torker. This is a good thing because why would anyone do this? It makes no sense. If you use the Torker, you will need a 4V carb.

You don't provide many details
  • Is the engine build stock or are there performance upgrades?
  • what are you using the Jeep for? street use? racing? ...
  • Did the OE 2V intake come with the engine?

If the sole reason to use the Torker is weight savings, there are other ways to save 50 lbs. Fill the tank only halfway, go on a diet, don't carry passengers...
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
abernut360 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abernut360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2023 at 10:05am
The jeep will just be for normal street use and the occasional burnout.  The machine shop kept it pretty stock.  
abernut360 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abernut360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2023 at 10:24am
Thank you.
Is it worth buying a carb that will fit this manifold.  What I am not sure about is weight the only advantage.
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2023 at 10:32am
These are pretty cheap. I find them at Swap Meets for $1 to $5. At least if you don't like it, you don't have a lot of cash in it.

Edited by nda racer - May/23/2023 at 10:36am
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2023 at 10:47am
The Jeep is already heavy, so 50 lbs of weight savings on the intake is not much of an advantage.
If on a budget, try the 2 barrel on the torquer and have fun driving for a while. If it doesn't perform as you would like, go to the swap meets and get a factory cast square bore intake and save up for a 600 to 650 CFM 4 barrel.
Look for these intakes:
3191736, 3195532 or 3199762 - maybe post in the want ad section.
Summit makes a decent carburetor in this range that is easy to tune.

Edited by Trader - May/23/2023 at 10:56am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic