TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

360 HEADS - REBUILD SUGGESTIONS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 360 HEADS - REBUILD SUGGESTIONS
    Posted: Feb/24/2021 at 7:06am
Looking to have a 1970 360 rebuilt. PowerNation 304 rebuild was a good info build. What are peoples suggestions on the Edelbrock Heads vs. having the 319 heads rebuilt? Looks to me like a good case can be made for the Al heads vs. cast ones? 
Old windage tray likely can be salvaged. The 304 build never mentioned it? 
For a daily driver replacing a tired 360 that won't even chirp the tires. 
Any other suggestions would be welcomed! 
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2021 at 7:30am
Originally posted by oldblue oldblue wrote:

For a daily driver replacing a tired 360
If it's to be just a daily driver I would forgo the Edelbrock heads (probably not available currently anyway) You didn't mention if you intend to retain the stock intake and carb, if you already have changed them, or are willing to upgrade if stock. Probably we really need a little more information of what your wants and needs are first before you get 20 different rebuild options that might not even be what you're after.

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2021 at 11:17am
For a street car, get an estimate for your cast head rebuild and compare that to these:
At $599 cast vs $1990 aluminum each, I believe that is the comparison you need to make.
A lot of posts for the aluminum are bare heads.
jblue1555 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblue1555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2021 at 11:37am
we rebuilt a late model 360 and put 291 heads on it. in hind sight i would go EDY. heads. lower heat, run lower octane fuel, and need to insure the cast heads wont crack. i have a pallet loaded with heads so i had choice of stock heads. but never know how many will check good  
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2021 at 3:36pm
Another consideration is complete 360 long block with warranty for less then the cost of 2 aluminum heads, there are others, just an example:
IF your just wanting to replace the tired engine.
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2021 at 3:50pm
The Aeroheads are good bang for the buck, essentially a reman heads.  I bought a set and they looked like brand new.  Mine were 502 castings and were updated with studs and guide plates.  The valve throats and pockets are stock with big shiny valves that really do nothing for performance.  But if you consider them a stock replacement head they are an excellent value.  Compared to your 70 heads, they will lower your compression.  The Edelbrock heads bring a lot of performance out of the box but the cost is painful.  

oldblue View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2021 at 7:33pm
Thanks to all for feedback. The more I can learn the better off I am moving forward. 
To update what I have and where I'm hoping to go with the engine.:

The engine currently in my 70 BBO Javelin does have Holley intake manifold, Edelbrock Carb, electronic distributor and running GM higher output distributor. All those will be moved over to the rebuilt engine. 
Rebuild block candidate is p/n 3195528 with3196291C? heads. 
Would like to get HP/Torque in range of what a 70 360 had or higher? 
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2021 at 7:43pm
You will want to look closely at the heads that you have to ensure that there are no cracks.  It seems to be common for the heads to crack on the lower corners.

Also be aware that the crank on the early 360's has a different flange than later cranks.  This affects the transmission choice if you are going with an automatic.

The 291c heads are small chamber, so that will bump compression a bit, if you want that.

1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2021 at 12:17am
I have taken the Eddy heads off my 343 and installed home ported 291C heads, hopefully I will get it onto the dyno one day to see if my porting matches out of the box Eddies, but I have some other teething problems to fix first.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
oldblue View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2021 at 6:05am

The current engine in the car is mated with a 727 transmission. If the early 70 engine's crank isn't compatible with that, I may have to rethink my plans? 
 Do you know what the flange measurements are?

Could make the 70 block a boat anchor? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic