TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

360 engine valve train noise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joseph Lamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 360 engine valve train noise
    Posted: Jun/23/2021 at 2:04pm
Good day all.

We have a 1971 SST Javelin 360 4bbl automatic . This 360 has at idle has a light light tapping noise 

that sounds like valve lash noise . I did not build this 360 and no only that it has good oil pressure 

hot or cold , it runs really well under all circumstances , barks the tires on first gear upshift , and is fun 

to drive . No exhaust leaks on this engine , so I have always heard this light light tapping noise . 

Compression in all 8 is about 175 pounds , 

Two years ago I did replace all of the rocker arms with new steel rockers , I inspected and found that 

some were worn at the valve end . New rockers did make an improvement . 

I am changing the intake manifold next month and was thinking about installing 16 new lifters to see if I 

can reduce this noise . Am I just looking to create a problem here ???

Any thoughts out there in AMC land ??????? Appreciate the input .
1971 Javelin 360 SST
1973 RS Z28 350 L82 4SPD 38
YEARS

1958 Chevy Biscayne 235 powerglide
1997 Jeep TJ 151 5 speed
1960 Lark Convertible
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2021 at 3:32pm
Lifters wear with the camshaft. Unless this is very low mileage, new lifters will likely cause more problems later with the worn camshaft. It can be done, but expect to rebuild the engine sooner then later when all the lifters start making noise.
An exhaust leak can sound like a bad lifter. I'd look for an exhaust leak first.
If you have one bad lifter and know the ones installed, you can buy a new one and install the internals in the old one. Basically rebuilding an old lifter. This may or may not work depending on what you find wrong with the lifter.
When you pull the intake, inspect the camshaft.
Grey Ghost View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grey Ghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2021 at 7:49pm
Just a thought, if the motor has the original intake check to see if the choke stoves gasket is in place. I had a local guy from my town contact me about helping him get his newly rebuilt 390 running, after getting it running it sounded like it had a lifter tick, turned out the choke stove gasket was missing.
Lets go racing!
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2021 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by Grey Ghost Grey Ghost wrote:

Just a thought, if the motor has the original intake check to see if the choke stoves gasket is in place. I had a local guy from my town contact me about helping him get his newly rebuilt 390 running, after getting it running it sounded like it had a lifter tick, turned out the choke stove gasket was missing.

THIS!  Especially if that '1 lifter tick' is coming from the rear of the motor on the passenger side....
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2021 at 10:32pm
Agree with the exhaust leak idea.  You didn't say which side the noise seems to be on.
I would first try tightening the header and choke stove bolts.  If you get a turn out of any of them it'll be the problem.  Don't crank down on them too hard.  Exhaust bolts can be difficult and you don't want to break them.
After that you could try adjusting the rockers again.
Bill O.
70 AMX
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2021 at 1:11am
The new production Melling stock replacement lifters are junk. They often make more noise than the original lifters. But, they are reliable and won't cause any problems. I have many miles on them.

The exhaust heat damper on the passenger's side exhaust manifold outlet often rattles in a way that sounds like valve noise if it's missing one or both of the anti-rattle springs that normally are attached to the shaft. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
Joseph Lamb View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Joseph Lamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2021 at 7:02pm
Yes the noise seems to be on the passenger side , so I will check all that you say . Remflex gaskets in place and I think Remflex are good gaskets , bolts tight , etc 

put it on the lift tomorrow 

thanks to all 
1971 Javelin 360 SST
1973 RS Z28 350 L82 4SPD 38
YEARS

1958 Chevy Biscayne 235 powerglide
1997 Jeep TJ 151 5 speed
1960 Lark Convertible
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic