TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

304 vs 360 heads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMCGreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 304 vs 360 heads
    Posted: Jul/03/2022 at 10:21am
I am very much the novice when it comes to this stuff so please bear with me.
I have a 72 Javelin SST with 304 A/C Power steering, automatic transmission
I've read that the heads are interchangeable (specifically 304 to 360).
What would be the other changes that I would expect?
Will it affect timing, carburation? etc., etc.
Can I use the same pistons?  Different rings?
I'm not looking to build a high performer. just a daily driver
Please advise.

Thanks ,
Ron
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2022 at 10:38am
The bigger valves may hit the cylinders  the basic casting is similar. 
Rings dont interchange because the bore is different sizes
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2022 at 12:51pm
hi, the short answer is no. 360 heads CAN be made to work on a 304, but imo, not worth doing. If keeping the 304, and the heads are being rebuilt anyway, the way to go is to use SBC valves, 1.84 IN, 1.5 Ex. Valve length is within .002" , stem diameter is different, so new guides will be needed, a good deal anyway. good luck, gz
george z
AMCGreen View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMCGreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2022 at 1:23pm
George Z,
thanks for the info.  I notice your from Roanoke,
I live just down the road near Elliston. A couple miles off exit 128 (RT 81)
maybe we can compare notes someday

Ron
AMCGreen View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMCGreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2022 at 1:24pm
Thanks.   I have soooooo much to learn

Ron
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2022 at 1:39pm
As amcfool1 said. The valves in a 360 are a good bit larger, so large that they are close to the cylinder wall when used on a 304. The top edge of the cylinder wall needs notching to clear the valves (notch doesn't go down below the first ring are), at least with a standard bore 304. With the valve so close to the cylinder wall a lot of the whole reason for a big valve is negated, as a good portion of the valve area is blocked by the cylinder wall. This is called "shrouding". So you get flow around 3/4 of the valve at best, more likely just 2/3. The slightly large Chevy valves increase flow a bit, and most importantly are still small enough ot get flow all around the circumference of the valve.
Frank Swygert
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2022 at 2:38pm
The Chevy valves you want are 1.94, not 1.84.  Indy cylinder head offered 304 heads with 1.94/1.5 valves, but supply may be dried up.  Easy enough for a competent machine shop to do.  In the long run, probably less expensive to switch to an entire 360.  All you need is a block and pistons and heads.  But you can usually find a useable 360 core for $500.  You can notch the cylinders and run 360 heads on a 304 but it is not cost effective.
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2022 at 2:49pm
If the 304 is essentially stock and you're looking for a little more power, I would start with a 4V carb and intake. Swapping in bigger valve heads won't give you much gain before you do this anyway.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2022 at 5:18am
hey Ron, absolutely!, lets get together one weekend. As a matter of fact, I was just down there Saturday, visiting a friend off Bradshaw Rd. You can email me at:  amcfool1@cox.net

see ya,   gz
george z
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2022 at 7:02am
Originally posted by bigbad69 bigbad69 wrote:

If the 304 is essentially stock and you're looking for a little more power, I would start with a 4V carb and intake. Swapping in bigger valve heads won't give you much gain before you do this anyway.

What he said, and not to 'large' of a 4-barrel, in terms of CFM.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic