TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

304 vs 360 Crankshaft

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waggygreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 304 vs 360 Crankshaft
    Posted: Aug/04/2021 at 11:32am
Can anyone confirm what I have been told is that the AMC 305 and the amc 360 crankshaft are interchangeable.

mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2021 at 11:39am
yes they are.  just make sure that you use one that fits your flywheel-flexplate. 
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2021 at 12:19pm
AMC 304 and 360 crankshafts

are identical crankshafts year by year.

70 and 71 have a different flange than the 72 and later crankshafts.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
waggygreen View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waggygreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2021 at 12:47pm
Would they need any balancing difference then each other or is everything the same plug and play

SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2021 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by waggygreen waggygreen wrote:

Would they need any balancing difference then each other or is everything the same plug and play

Yes they would need balancing. They are not balanced the same.
waggygreen View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waggygreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2021 at 1:17pm
Thank you for all the help.

WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2021 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by SC397 SC397 wrote:

When you say that, I presume you just mean that you need to use the 360 harmonic balancer and flex plate, as far as I was aware, the crank itself is the same. 
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2021 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by westernred westernred wrote:

When you say that, I presume you just mean that you need to use the 360 harmonic balancer and flex plate, as far as I was aware, the crank itself is the same. 

Because the 360 pistons are bigger and weigh more, the 360 crank counterweights probably have less material drilled out so they are slightly heavier.   It's always best to have the entire rotating assembly balanced when mixing/matching parts.

Bob
tufcj

Edited by tufcj - Aug/04/2021 at 5:25pm
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2021 at 6:53pm
Just for reference I have 304 and 360 stock piston/pins/707 rods. The 304's are 1425g and the 360's are 1556g total.
A 707 rod - 686g and pin - 169g are the same for both.
I left out the decimal places as these are averages. pistons and rods can vary up to 4g each. 
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2021 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

Originally posted by SC397 SC397 wrote:

The crank itself is the same but remember, each rotating assembly was balanced individually regardless of cubic in size. 
No two are the same.
So regardless of the pistons and rods involved each engine needs to be rebalanced. Some Machinist leave the crank alone and balance the rest of the parts to match. Some do a combination of balancing the crank and rotating components to match.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic