TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

304 high compression pistons?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crusher_gremmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 304 high compression pistons?
    Posted: Aug/08/2022 at 9:08am
I got a killer deal on a freshly machined .030 over 304 long block and I'd like to build a really hot high-winding full race motor out of it mostly just for fun but also for experience in engine building. To go along with a 73 gremlin x I saved from the crusher and I'm thinking drag car. New to AMC stuff mostly a Ford guy.

From reading it seems like there used to be some flat top 304/258 pistons off the shelf. They appear to no longer be available but perhaps I'm not looking for the right part #s. Are there any out there still being made? Or would I have to acquire some custom pistons?

I've also read about people using chevy 305 pistons but I'm a little unclear on the machine work involved. I'd prefer not to have the block decked by an extreme amount.

Thanks.
crusher_gremmy View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crusher_gremmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2022 at 1:35pm
The more I read, the more it seems that custom pistons are probably what will be needed to make this happen
Javelin_GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2022 at 1:53pm
Call RaceTec pistons.  I know a guy who builds a ton of inline 6 jeep engines. I am sure can help you order whatever you want for your 304.  PM for his info.

bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2022 at 2:16pm
Hey Adam,
Can you send me the Inline guy's info.  I'm building a stroker 4.7 and he may have a few part numbers in his head that will save me some time.
John
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crusher_gremmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2022 at 6:20pm
Thanks, I'll give them a call
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2022 at 7:26pm
TRW made the L2340, which was 10.5 compression, and required notching for valve clearance (I ran a .488 lift cam).  They've been out of production for years.   Fun little engine.  I ran 1.94/1.50 Chevy valves, had the rods shot peened, all balanced, with a Torker manifold and Holley 650 carb.  Easily revved to 6000.  Made around 330 HP.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crusher_gremmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2022 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by tufcj tufcj wrote:

TRW made the L2340, which was 10.5 compression, and required notching for valve clearance (I ran a .488 lift cam).  They've been out of production for years.   Fun little engine.  I ran 1.94/1.50 Chevy valves, had the rods shot peened, all balanced, with a Torker manifold and Holley 650 carb.  Easily revved to 6000.  Made around 330 HP.

Bob
tufcj
Thanks for the p/n. Every now and then stuff like that pops up on ebay or racingjunk - who knows, I might get lucky.

Hoping to build something similar to yours or the one in this thread:
https://theamcforum.com/forum/304-on-the-dyno_topic98091.html

Should be pretty good for sending the little gremmy down the track
Mr_Roboto View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_Roboto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2022 at 8:54am
My advice for ebay is if you have the time set a search alert. I scored what were probably 2 of the last sets of new head gaskets in existence for a 350 Pontiac. I will admit I probably had that alert on there for 2+ years though.
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2022 at 12:59pm
 I bought a used set of 304 +.030" forged flat top pistons here a few months ago they cleaned up nice and measure good also, I bought new wrist pins for them. I might change the specifications of the project and not use them, depending on when you need pistons these might be available for much less than new pistons.

J

AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crusher_gremmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2022 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by JGRANTAMX JGRANTAMX wrote:

I bought a used set of 304 +.030" forged flat top pistons here a few months ago they cleaned up nice and measure good also, I bought new wrist pins for them. I might change the specifications of the project and not use them, depending on when you need pistons these might be available for much less than new pistons.

J

Sure shoot me a pm if you decide to sell at some point. Not sure what my timeline is still gathering info & parts
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic