TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

3 speed to 4 or 5 speed swap?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Typical Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3 speed to 4 or 5 speed swap?
    Posted: Sep/27/2022 at 5:11pm
How hard would it be to swap my 3 speed with that infamous "super T10" or whatever its called. I'm reading that the 4 speed Borg Warner T-10, I think is what it is...not sure, is very reliable and durable. Can I put that in my Javelin that's already got a 3 speed? Gonna be doing a motor swap maybe next year and jamming a 360 under the hood. And I'd like more than 3 gears.

Edited by Typical Tony - Sep/27/2022 at 5:17pm
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2022 at 5:22pm
Go 5 speed. It will be the best modification you ever make to a car.

Ford World Class T5 is probably the easiest to swap. Uses a late model Jeep bellhousing, T10 driveshaft, T10 speedo cable, Jeep clutch, Ford yoke.

Where are you in Pa??
"Prolly" is not a word.
Typical Tony View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Typical Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2022 at 5:30pm
Schuylkill county, PA. And that sounds not horrible to do. But is there another swap that's a bit more "plug and play"?
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2022 at 5:44pm
unfortunately  there is not.  even the t-10 swap will be a little difficult if you are not used to doing transmission swaps. then there is the problem of finding all of the parts you will need and a T-10 in good working order..
Typical Tony View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Typical Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2022 at 5:50pm
hmm....well i guess another question would be. Will that AMC 3 speed hold up to the power of a V8? a 360 to be specific. 
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2022 at 6:11pm
not for long.  first time you romp on it good, will probably do it.
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2022 at 6:22pm
I wonder why AMC used a 3 speed manual in 1971 360-4 barrel engines as the standard transmission in the SC/360 and Jav/AMX. Maybe they replaced them all under warranty after the first good romp. 
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2022 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by Sonic Silver Sonic Silver wrote:

I wonder why AMC used a 3 speed manual in 1971 360-4 barrel engines as the standard transmission in the SC/360 and Jav/AMX. Maybe they replaced them all under warranty after the first good romp. 

I get your point.  however i am assuming this is the original transmission.  its now 50 years old and liable to break if it hasnt been well maintained.  And no offense, we all know how the ramber mentality started.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2022 at 6:48pm
AMC used several 3 speed transmissions so some were weak and some were strong. Don't put a T14 or T86 behind a 360, but a T15 should be fine.
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2022 at 7:05pm
The easiest 5 speed swap you can do is a Tremec TKX from Silversport. It'll bolt in and the shifter will line up in the factory location. Wooster Kevin has one in his Javelin AMX and gained 4-5 mpg with it over a 4 speed. Not cheap but well worth it if you're going to drive it. He went with the hydraulic clutch setup as well. There's pictures in his build thread.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic