TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

291c head rebuilding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elcam71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 291c head rebuilding
    Posted: Apr/19/2021 at 12:33pm
Im looking for someone to rebuild my 291c cylinder heads. I want to get them ported/polished and the combustion chambers reworked. I live in California an AMC dead zone for machine shops. 
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2021 at 3:09pm
My .02 worth is to sell or pitch the 50 year old heads and just get Eddy aluminums
Calcommon View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Calcommon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2021 at 3:12pm
I had my heads rebuilt in Watsonville CA, and then managed to crack one torquing it down. I also vote for aluminum heads.
Javelin_GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2021 at 3:33pm
Not sure where you are in California but these guys have a long history in SoCal and a lot of time working on AMC heads over the years.

Valley Head Service

jblue1555 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblue1555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2021 at 4:11pm
Weigh the cost carefully. Eddys, are a lot for the money. i had a set of 291's done for specific purpose, would not do it for any other reason. Have a set of Eddy's for stroker project.
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2021 at 4:33pm
It really boils down to what you want. If you want iron heads then it's worth having John, Jcworthy here on the forum do your heads. You will have some money in doing them, but the engine will look stock from the outside. Now if you really want a lot better head from the start and don't care that the engine does not look stock then by all means Edelbrock's would be the way to go. Just note that it might be a year before Edelbrock has any heads for sale, so this might be an issue if you're in a hurry. If you have John do your heads you'll be able to make some great power and no one except yourself will know what you have. If you buy Edelbrock's next year then everyone will know. Personally it's fun to have a sleeper engine and let everyone wonder why it runs so well.

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2021 at 5:14pm
I've done exactly that with my 343, took the Eddy heads off and replaced them with ported 291C heads.

I did this for 2 reasons, one is that I will use the Eddy heads on my race car once I port them and second, I wanted it to look more factory/period correct. The 291C heads should be much better than the correct square port heads for this motor, but nobody will notice, so I'm cheating anyway. I've also ditched the Air Gap intake for a R4B and got rid of the large cap HEI distributor. I am still running the same hydraulic roller cam as before, so obviously I had to get the valve guide bosses cut down for positive seals, which also allowed room to run double valve springs.

I want to get it on the dyno at some stage to see how my home ported heads and intake change compare to the out of the box Eddies that were on there before. 
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2021 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

I've done exactly that with my 343, took the Eddy heads off and replaced them with ported 291C heads.

I did this for 2 reasons, one is that I will use the Eddy heads on my race car once I port them and second, I wanted it to look more factory/period correct. The 291C heads should be much better than the correct square port heads for this motor, but nobody will notice, so I'm cheating anyway. I've also ditched the Air Gap intake for a R4B and got rid of the large cap HEI distributor. I am still running the same hydraulic roller cam as before, so obviously I had to get the valve guide bosses cut down for positive seals, which also allowed room to run double valve springs.

I want to get it on the dyno at some stage to see how my home ported heads and intake change compare to the out of the box Eddies that were on there before. 
Notice any big change by taking off the Air Gap other than it runs better just after firing it up?
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2021 at 7:16pm
It probably idles worse after just firing it up, but that may be other factors too. I don't run a choke either, we don't get really cold weather here. Other than that it runs just fine and has plenty of power on the street.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2021 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by Heavy 488 Heavy 488 wrote:

My .02 worth is to sell or pitch the 50 year old heads and just get Eddy aluminums
x2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic