TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

258 Emerency!! Advice needed ASAP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacGyver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 258 Emerency!! Advice needed ASAP
    Posted: Dec/19/2020 at 8:44pm
Looking for some really quick help!!

I was changing out my leaking rocker cover gasket for what seems like the 10th time in
3 years...
I was cleaning everything up, including the blind cover bolt holes...

I was using a clean, brand new bolt to test the cleanliness and threadability of the holes,
and it slipped from my fingers!!

I just heard a CLINK and it was gone!! Ouch

I can't find it anywhere around, under, or near the car!!

I think it most likely fell into the lifter valley, but even with my best flashlight, I'll be
darned if I can see it anywhere thru the pushrod holes...  Confused

I even removed a few pushrods to try to get a better view, and I STILL cant see it!!

It's been so long since I had a 258 apart, that I can't remember it's anatomy and where
that lifter valley leads to!!

Please!!  Someone tell me that if that bolt DID fall down there, that it will just happily
bounce around for the next 100K miles without causing any problems!!

I need this car to get me to work on Monday!!!
I don't have the tools needed where I am to pull the head!!
Let alone a head gasket!!

How screwed am I!?!  Cry

You Drive A What?!?
wrebelmachine View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrebelmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2020 at 9:01pm
If you think it is in the lifter gallery you might try a magnet to fish it out.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2020 at 9:36pm
We've all done that at least a couple times and thought the worst had happened.

Is there even enough room around the pushrod for a bolt that size to get through ?

You'd be surprised how many bolt traps they are behind the engine and on top of the transmission.

You'd be surprised how far a dropped bolt can go,  like it's got it's own little feet.

Get a strong light and look under it again,  especially around the tires.

If that fails then hake the heck out of the car,  get a blowgun and blow the stongest blast of air you can behind the engine and under the hood,  then get down and start looking.

66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
RobinPDX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobinPDX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2020 at 10:23pm
See if anyone you know has one of those camera probe devices you can borrow , like the ones you can get at harbor freight.
Borrow one of possible,  And look for it with that. 
Or get a real strong N52 magnet with hole in it, put a coat hanger thru  it to secure it,  so you can pull it back out, and fish around some. If you use a magnet like this, tape it up a bit to make edges smoothed so it pulls out easier too.

MacGyver View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacGyver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2020 at 10:57pm
Thanks for the quick reply's guys!!

Unfortunately, the first 1/4-20 bolt I found in my pile happened
to be a stainless one!!!   Son of a!!! Ouch

Slightly magnetic, but not as magnetic as the head, lifters and everything
else in the area that my telescopic magnet wants to stick to!!

I've fished around with the magnet, but come up empty so far...

I do have a cheap borescope camera at home!!  But I'm not at home!!

Think it's gonna be a late night!!   Unhappy
You Drive A What?!?
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2020 at 11:57pm
 Unless you've got one of those magnet enclosed in a stainless still cable they're not much help retrieving anything out of a engine where almost everything down there is magnetic , BTDT. 
 I've spend a lot of time looking for something I just knew I'd dropped into a engine,  then discovered I was wrong.

66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2020 at 2:03am
I seriously doubt a bolt that size could make it through one of the pushrod holes with the pushrod in place. It's probably sitting on top of the head somewhere, or it landed outside the engine.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2020 at 1:27pm
In my shop, fasteners hit the floor and disappear, never to be seen again.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2020 at 3:08pm
If you heard a "clink" as in high pitch noise, it hit sheet metal first and is likely outside the engine. Anything that small hitting a head is not going to make any kind of high pitch sound or much sound at all. Look at the engine cross member, suspension arms, rad supports - shroud if up front...
If it did make a "clink" noise in the engine, it likely went right through the oil return hole and the noise was it hitting the oil pan if you had no oil in it. Look through the drain plug hole or take a magnet through the hole attached securely to wire and move it about. It's likely 302 or 304 SS and even being slightly magnetic, a magnet should drag it out of the oil pan.

amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2020 at 3:24pm
Can you try a vacuum cleaner with small hose down into engine cavities (harmless?) if certain bolt is not lost elsewhere?

Funny story: I lost a 'spring clip' one day: popped off and disappeared... (we all know how that goes)

So... I re-mustered my patience and decided to give my whole shop area a 'deep clean'.

Five hours later, nightfall and luckless, I decided to go home...

When I reached into my pocket to grab keys and lock the door... I found the spring clip in my pocket!
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic