TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

232 Carburetor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramblin67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 232 Carburetor
    Posted: Jun/19/2021 at 10:05pm
Hello, new here and needing some help with the daily. I have a 1967 American Rambler with the 232 and it currently has a Carter RBS on it which I am more than aware is not correct. I had to notch one of the mounting flanges to make it fit. This was the only carburetor I was able to find that would "work." The car came with a Holley 1931, but it was the one that they no longer make a rebuild kit for. My question here is: what carburetor can I put on this engine that will work with the stock throttle linkage? OR How do I converter this to a throttle cable? The car is a manual (has its own problems, different thread), so no transmission linkage. I can't quite seem to find anything either way. I have a couple of 1bbl carbs, but none meant to work with the throttle rod like this car has. At current, the car does run and drive decent, just has a really bad dead spot in the throttle, some power loss, and tops out around 70mph. Fabrication is not my strong suit, but if shown something, I can probably copy it if I need to make something. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2021 at 10:43pm
there are AMC RBS carbs with the proper linkage. YOu've got a fairly easy to work with engine, luckily. 

AMC used a lot of carbs, I (only personally) can't tell you what carb came-with your year and model. Do you have a factory technical service manual? Those provide solid hints. 

The throttle rod systems work great. It's probably easiest to find the right carb, if you have all the fiddly bits. 
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2021 at 11:24am
Ok, you say if you are shown something you can copy it, so my thought is to give you a good tip, and check out the print technical documents on tomjs webpage, he has a few technical service manuals I think as well as more then two different parts catalogs that are on his website and you can click through the pages that have sort of "exploded view" parts assemblies, and how they connect together, I have used this more then twice to understand how things go together or what a certain unknown part that I have for my car actually does, and seeing it in those parts catalogs can help you put together the pieces that way, it's a great help having access to those parts books.
His website is www.sr-ix.com
Formerly world power systems!
Click into the AMC section, then click into print technical documents and see which will be best, the exact year of your engine or car may not be in those books titles but there's a chance it won't matter much as the same systems are in the pages.

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Jun/20/2021 at 11:26am
Ramblin67 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramblin67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2021 at 7:13pm
Oh my. That is beautiful. Exactly what I needed! Thank you!
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2021 at 8:27pm
I had an RBS carb on a 196. I took that combo out and put in a 232 with a 2bbl WCD. I had to modify the throttle linkage bell-crank because the plates open in opposite directions. 

If you are going to get this thing running on the freeways at 70 MPH or more you might want more carb. Around town up to 60MPH the RBS should be OK, if it is sized correctly for the engine. I would compare the diameter of the carb opening to the diameter of the intake manifold opening.

Edited by vinny - Jun/21/2021 at 4:31am
Ramblin67 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramblin67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2021 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by vinny vinny wrote:

I had an RBS carb on a 196. I took that combo out and put in put in a 232 with a 2bbl WCD. I had to modify the throttle linkage bell-crank because the plates open in opposite directions. 

If you are going to get this thing running on the freeways at 70 MPH or more you might want more carb. Around town up to 60MPH the RBS should be OK, if it is sized correctly for the engine. I would compare the diameter of the carb opening to the diameter of the intake manifold opening.

Well, as stated, the RBS is not correct or even meant to be on a 232. I had to notch one of the mounting holes to make it fit. It's all that was available to me to get the car running. It will do 70, but not very well, but it also does not achieve full throttle. Although, right now the car sees very little highway driving. It does definitely need more carb. After going through the website posted by Rambler Super, I have at least two Carter YF carbs laying around from my Ford days that I can make work with the info given. I would love a 2bbl on this, but it is not in the cards right now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic