TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

232/258 headers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaxiBlue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 232/258 headers
    Posted: Apr/18/2021 at 12:20pm
Anyone know if the Hedman 99610 or 99616 Jeep 258 headers are close enough to fit a car?  Just curious what the difference are between clearances of a Jeep and an AMC car.  

Thanks in advance, 
Scott
1ManGang View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1ManGang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2021 at 7:03am
Scott,

That is a great question.  

The Jeep headers I have picked up are 99603 (dual outlet) and I have serious doubts I will be able to get them in a 78 Gremlin or Concord.  There are really 2 big problems:

1.  Jeeps have an engine mount system that works off a frame rail.  They don't have a crossmember.  That makes fitment a bit problematic for the cars.

2.  Jeeps have a frame.  That allows the header some wiggle room that a unibody just doesn't have.

Some time ago, I had a set of Clifford Headers for AMC Small Body Cars.  I traded them with an early TB Injection system on a Offy or Clifford 4brl to a guy for a T18 T-case with a PTO.  I regret that move since I didn't realize how hard it was to find them.  I also haven't found a home for the T-case yet. 

I ask him about buying them back from time to time and usually he says no.  

I don't have a solid answer for you but I suspect that the Jeep Header will drop too low as delivered to make you happy in a car.  If the 5 down pipes clear the crossmember, you could try to take a section out of them but that is a lot of work and cylinder 6 will need some tweeking to adjust it.  

I will ask my trading buddy if he could get a picture with a tape measure so you would have something to compare to.  I would like to find another set of Clifford Headers but they weren't marked, that I know of beyond possibly a part number.  I haven't even been able to score an old catalog for a couple years of looking on EBAY and with various Literature dealers.

VR,
Dave
Norfolk, VA

Edited by 1ManGang - Apr/19/2021 at 7:05am
MaxiBlue View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaxiBlue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2021 at 7:50pm
Thanks a lot Dave!  You would think with the popularity of straight six performance parts, someone would offer a "car" header.  I know about the 4.0 head/header option, but didn't really want to get that far into the engine.  I already have a couple intakes, but no decent exhaust.  I was just wondering if it would take a lot of tweeking to get the Jeep header to fit.  I can weld, but don't really want to build something from scratch.

Thanks, 
Scott

matty 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2021 at 8:33pm
i think the single outlet header would be a better choice  looks to dump more to the rear and not go around the frame like a dual outlet  so the 99610 single would be my choice  to see if it works 

Edited by matty 401 - Apr/19/2021 at 8:35pm
72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
72 matador 304 grasshopper
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

1ManGang View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1ManGang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2021 at 3:28am
Well,

Thanks to the internet and an ad on Facebook in Chicago, I looked up Clifford Performance and they are still in business in CA.  They even have a dual outlet header for the 232/258 from '72 to '90, PN 57-2300 listed for AMC and Jeep for $439.00.  

The price is listed as subject to change.  It is a rather short header so there wouldn't be any fitment issues for being too tall.  The exhaust shop may fuss a little bit doing the custom work but it really doesn't look that bad.  Of course you would need to determine if you were going to run duals or if you were going to y back to a single exhaust.  

Here is a link to the website:

Anyway, I was surprised that they were still operating.  I hadn't heard or seen an ad for them for some time.

VR,
Dave
Norfolk, VA
Javelin Dan View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2021 at 9:00am
Be VERY careful when ordering headers from Clifford. When I ordered a set for my '69 Javelin with the original 232 many moons ago, they sent a set that was for a newer car with the starter on the passenger side. One of the tubes badly interfered with the starter and wouldn't even come close to bolting up. I called and the guy fell on his sword and offered to fix them for free, but I had to pay shipping both ways and wait over a month! Also had to go to a junk yard to source an exhaust manifold (I had stupidly trashed mine) so I could drive the car as summers are fairly short here. Make absolutely sure they understand what year and where the starter is located before you order. I also had to beat the flange somewhere close to flat as they didn't arrive that way. Other than that, everything was great...Been a lot of years and things may have changed one way or the other, but buyer beware!
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2021 at 7:29am
They only offer a shorty style header that fits both Jeeps and cars now, IIRC. As noted by 1ManGang.
Frank Swygert
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2021 at 11:46am
I had a set of the Clifford headers on a 1974 232 engine. They gave be a hard time, had to build the flanges up with more weld and hand file them. With a set of Remflex gaskets I finally conquered the problem. Beware: Good luck dealing with Lying Larry Clifford

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
AMXRWB View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXRWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2021 at 2:16pm
I have the same header and i had to stick weld all of the ports and file them flat to make them seal.But you had to do that to most headers back in the day so it was normal for me.Very expensive item i would never buy again.For the large amount of money they charge the ports should be finished flat.
390amx1 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390amx1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2021 at 3:01pm
Wow, how times have changed the hobby.  I put a set of JC Whitney headers making my gremlin duel exhaust back in 78.  They fit great and were really cheap, LOL...
69 BBB 390 Tremec 5-speed AMX #13584 since 1978 (166,000 miles)
08 Zo6 Corvette
22 Ram 1500
24 CT5-V Blackwing #317
Yamaha Supercharged Jet Ski's
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic