TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1985 amc 258 High-Performance Engine Build

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willwkline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1985 amc 258 High-Performance Engine Build
    Posted: Jan/06/2023 at 8:01pm
Hello All!
I pulled the amc 258 out of my 85' cj7, and i want to do a performance rebuild. I drained the oil and found coolant, which is concerning. Here's what I'm thinking for the rebuild. Any input would be appreciated!

I have a 7120 4.0l head, Holley 390cfm with Clifford Intake, and long tubes on hand. 

I want to increase the compression ration by installing flat top pistons. I was looking for 199 pistons, but I couldn't find a supplier for any. If I cant find a supplier, I might send it off to the machine shop to get decked and bored .060 over. Any performance oversides pistons I can put in?

I want to put in an aggressive choppy cam that gives me a fun street-able jeep. This Jeep will be mostly seeing just the street. I was thinking a duration of 218/226 at .50' lift with stiffer valve springs and a new timing set. 

Are there any other performance mods I can do to squeeze as much fun power out of this thing as I can? 
nudhistbudhist View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nudhistbudhist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2023 at 11:36pm
Personally, I tore down my 258, kept the crank and rods, binned the rest.  Grabbed a runner 4.0 and started a stroker build.

4.0 block, 4.0 head, 4.2 crank, many off the shelf pistons available if you look that will work with 4.0 rods. Could use a carb, it's been done. Comp cams 231 cam. 

Can go as mild or wild as you decide. Try some reading over at www.jeepstrokers.com Forum doesn't see much traffic anymore but there's some build threads that may meet your wants
Greg

1980 AMC Spirit GT
4.0/ax15 swap
Ford 8.8
danleym View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danleym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2023 at 9:55am
Originally posted by willwkline willwkline wrote:

Are there any other performance mods I can do to squeeze as much fun power out of this thing as I can? 

Lots, they're pretty much only limited by the depth of your wallet. There's an aluminum 4.0 head out there, which would shave weight and help it deal with the higher compression ratio. It's spendy. There's plenty more head work that can be done to liven up that 4.0 head even more- port work, larger valves.

HEI dizzy would also be a good idea for the higher compression. They're pretty reasonable in cost.

Of course you could really go nuts and go with a turbo.

While you'll never see huge power numbers with a 258, from the factory they were rated at around 110 hp, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect 200 out of a proper build. Bigger numbers can be had, again, all depends on how much youre willing to pay. Still, 200hp should be a heck of an upgrade over the wheeze stock engine.

The stroker website referenced is great. Plenty of other info out there- do some homework and you'll come up with lots of ideas. 
Hollis Danley
1980 Spirit, 258
2000 VW Jetta TDI
2002 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0
2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2023 at 2:39am
That year of 258 had a 9.2:1 compression ratio stock, and make fantastic torque. The problem is their torque peaks at 1600 RPM and its downhill after that. That is why their horsepower number isn't fantastic.

You've got to get it breathing better above 2000 RPM. Move that torque peak up to get the horsepower from it.  

Edited by FSJunkie - Jan/08/2023 at 2:47am
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
i6cj7 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i6cj7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2023 at 7:04pm
Turbo it, all problems solved 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic