TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1984 Eagle evaporator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1984 Eagle evaporator
    Posted: Jul/22/2022 at 12:25pm
hi, I'm in the process of getting the AC in my (almost) fully restored 1984 Eagle Sedan working. We had everything in, and charged w/134a, it worked, sort of, cool but not cold. A couple of weeks later, no AC, it must have all leaked out. Preparing to do a leak test.
Anyway, the story so far, Have a NEW SD508 compressor/clutch, a NEW condenser w/NEW drier, two out of three hoses are NEW barrier type, (the small hose from drier to expansion valve is not), New Ford type expansion valve, (btw, the expansion valves listed on Rock Auto for Eagles are all wrong). The only thing NOT new is the evaporator (and its accompanying temp switch). I simply could not find a new one of either, so I suspect that's where the leak is.
My question is, is a new evaporator available anywhere?, or, is there one for another another make that interchanges?, or, is there a recondition/rebuild service anywhere? 

If the problem is indeed the evaporator, I want to do it right this time! Getting that thing in/out was a whole 2 days of work, basically the WHOLE dash had to come out! I really don't want to do it a third time. :)

Thank you all in advance,    gz

ps, once it's working again, I plan to put a small SPAL "pusher" fan (7.5") in front of the condenser. Any thoughts?
george z
MIPS View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2022 at 4:26pm
Since you threw the parts cannon at it, I might suggest having a shop charge the system with a tracer and then sniff out the leak.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic