TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1982 AMC Concord: Project Sedate Sedan Sleeper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2021 at 8:58pm
I am glad that it wasn't a EGR block-off that I made! Sorry about that frustration.
You gonna put a 360 under that Air-Gap intake?

1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2021 at 7:47am
Originally posted by SC397 SC397 wrote:

I am glad that it wasn't a EGR block-off that I made! Sorry about that frustration.
You gonna put a 360 under that Air-Gap intake?

It wasn't so much the plate but the gasket. It got hot and dried out. The problem was that we just couldn't tell where it was coming from. A lot of guys I had look at it said exhaust but none of the manifolds or the flanges were leaking! Ha... anyway... I'm glad we got it all sorted out. The carb guy (Joe R.) used a thicker aluminum EGR block off plate and gasket that he had on hand which uses on his Poncho 4.9L Hot Side Turbo engine builds. And BTW... his mostly stock 301 with some bolt on's managed a 12.85 second 1/4th mile at GLD about 2 months ago! (Not bad for a car that originally went down the 1/4th at 16.3 and 87mph stock from the factory!)

The only other thing to do now is take it back to the trans. shop in Spring to re-adjust the throttle valve again now that the EGR block off leak was plugged and the carb has been re-tuned properly.

You already know what I am planning! I've only been bugging you about it for the past 5-6 years! Ha... one of these days! As you already know I am busy working on some short term financial goals but once those are put to rest it's going to be time for a replacement! You know I'll be bugging you about it when the time comes! Maybe end of 2022 or early 2023? Thumbs Up 
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2021 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by 1982AMCConcord 1982AMCConcord wrote:

his mostly stock 301 with some bolt on's managed a 12.85 second 1/4th mile at GLD about 2 months ago! (Not bad for a car that originally went down the 1/4th at 16.3 and 87mph stock from the factory!)

The only other thing to do now is take it back to the trans. shop in Spring to re-adjust the throttle valve again now that the EGR block off leak was plugged and the carb has been re-tuned properly.

Not bad for a V8 with only 4 (siamesed) intake ports! Clap

My brother had a 301 powered Pontiac when we were still in our teens,
& I was amazed that they co-joined the intake ports.

From the pic in your video,
it looks like he's still using the 2 port (intake) heads on this build,
 even with a Turbo, that's pretty amazing!
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2021 at 4:05pm
I'm looking forward to hearing how the new strut rod bushings work out for you.  I'm told the Concords had slightly different bushings than the other small cars to make for a smoother ride.  Not sure if that still holds true for what we can buy today, but I do see places like Auto Zone offer a regular (Rare Parts #22026) and "high performance" (Rare Parts #15696) bushing. 

Not sure I'd trust either one though as they say they "improves handling while breaking".  I think they mean "braking".  LOL
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2021 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by jpnjim jpnjim wrote:

Not bad for a V8 with only 4 (siamesed) intake ports! Clap

My brother had a 301 powered Pontiac when we were still in our teens,
& I was amazed that they co-joined the intake ports.

From the pic in your video,
it looks like he's still using the 2 port (intake) heads on this build,
 even with a Turbo, that's pretty amazing!

I don't know much about those models at all personally... I just think the platform is cool. I didn't know much about them before meeting him. I forgot to mention... He also has a special Holley Sniper FI kit on his Turbo car too. He sells the kits to the other Hot Side Turbo guys that he works with. He's a real solid guy. I'm really glad found him. There's not a lot of guys locally that know what he knows. I like niche work like that.

Edited by 1982AMCConcord - Dec/19/2021 at 4:19pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2021 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

I'm looking forward to hearing how the new strut rod bushings work out for you.  I'm told the Concords had slightly different bushings than the other small cars to make for a smoother ride.  Not sure if that still holds true for what we can buy today, but I do see places like Auto Zone offer a regular (Rare Parts #22026) and "high performance" (Rare Parts #15696) bushing. 

Not sure I'd trust either one though as they say they "improves handling while breaking".  I think they mean "braking".  LOL

Those look nice. I got the Mevotech Supreme versions from Rock Auto. They look comparable to one of the ones you linked. I sincerely hope they hold up. Some guys have said there were some that were falling apart. I hope they soften up the ride a bit. It's very jarring at times and seems to send shockwaves through the dash board. I'm also getting some squeaking over the bumps. Maybe the poly stuff didn't get enough grease? I dunno but we're going to revisit the the front end in the Spring. I only have poly strut rod bushings and coil spring cushions. Between those two... Those are the only parts that could be squeaky. At least I think. I hope we can find it. It's annoying. I was driving it today in 30* weather... It seemed to all ride really nice but squeaky! 🤦🤷🤭

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2022 at 3:43pm
Well... I took off the OEM air cleaner and used a chrome Mr. Gasket from local auto parts store that was on clearance. I'm not real crazy about it and think it needs an inch taller filter but at least it matches the valve covers. I liked the stock one but this shines things up a bit. Hopefully I'll finally get around to painting the steering rod, wiper motor and heater plate. Just another few things to add to the to-do list.

Anyway... I'm glad spring is getting closer and would like to start working on the next batch of stuff. So hopefully I can hear it rumble again soon. 

🤞🤞🤞
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2022 at 8:02am
John,
I believe that our vehicles never get done.............hehehehehehe

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2022 at 1:19pm
Love that color.
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2022 at 11:18am
Originally posted by Ollie Ollie wrote:

John,
I believe that our vehicles never get done.............hehehehehehe
Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

You got that right Ollie!

Originally posted by amxdreamer amxdreamer wrote:

Love that color.

Thank you very much! It's been my favorite color for nearly 30 years now! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718>
  Share Topic