TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1978 360 cam upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobinPDX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1978 360 cam upgrade
    Posted: Jan/20/2021 at 4:25pm
I’m looking at a cam replacement, the comp cams High Energy 212/212 Hydraulic Flat Cam for AMC 290-401 seems like a good enough for my casual driver. Has vlv lift of 0.447” I/E Both.
Or 
High Energy 218/218 Hydraulic Flat Cam for AMC 290-401 Has vlv lift of 0.458”
Not positive I can get away with the second cam spec usage.

So need to know a few things here from experiences.
I intend to use use my stock torque converter.

And will Either one cam work with OEM geometry-Bridge Rockers ?
Will be doing this with a vlv job at same time, The shop verifies the spring bind clearances once I know which one I can use.
Thx
Rob Wiley
IB Sorgn View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IB Sorgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2021 at 1:24pm
I would think that Comp Cams should be able to answer your questions.  One thing I would be concerned with is, has the motor been worked on or modified in the past.  Years ago I replace a big lift cam with one similar to your second choice and had to change both my rocker arms and push rod lengths to obtain the proper valve geometry.   
Madd X
RobinPDX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobinPDX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2021 at 9:57pm
Engine is a 100% OEM.
Plan on doing a vlv job to accommodate the larger lift springs and general fresh up top end. 
It has 82K orig miles, so I figured on doing the top end and cam swap same time.
Have the tools to do a geometry verify Rocker tip meets center vlv tip region @50 % cam Lift yada yada, to do the task  absolutely I say is a must do verify..
Done proper, NO guesswork,  and data spec then, can can be known and passed on if needed.
Most guys just “throw a cam IN”  and DON't do this simple procedure.
NOT wise IMHO.
A few hours & $100 bucks in extra tools  for a significant important task. 
Make it work right.

So one concern is my stock OEM torque converter can allow the higher rpm a bigger cam will run OK without dragging the engine down and cause stahl or bog issues.

Any thoughts on
 point?

Rob Wiley
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic