TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Javelin AMX Hood Latch Broken?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1973 Javelin AMX Hood Latch Broken?
    Posted: Mar/28/2023 at 12:09am
Hi all, I've tried to get some help on the FB group with no luck.

My hood latch is either broken or not functioning correctly. I previously had it sandblasted, cleaned and painted, so it's free from any detritus and isn't freezing up or anything. It's also been lubricated with white lithium grease.

I took the latch completely off the car today to take the springs off an check movement on the latch mechanisms. The primary and secondary latch move completely independently of each other with the springs removed and do not interact with each other during any part of their range of motion.

It appears to me the primary latch should be catching on the lever release mechanism when in the "locked" postion, but there's nothing for it to lock to. Am I missing something here?

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2023 at 12:29pm
Does not look broken from the picture. 
The top latch is the safety in case the primary latch below fails.
The safety just works on the angle of the hook grabbing the hood latch rod.
The primary latch captures the hood latch rod completely.
From the picture it looks like it's been working correctly as the safety has no indications of wear.
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2023 at 5:31pm
It turns out the cable release lever was fused to the primary latch. We broke it loose and now everything moves properly and independently. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic