TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1973 I6 258 engine head gasket/expansion plug leak
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 I6 258 engine head gasket/expansion plug leak

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJCommando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1973 I6 258 engine head gasket/expansion plug leak
    Posted: Nov/23/2021 at 11:56am
I bought a 73 AMC Jeep Commando, and the 6-cyl motor starts up just fine.  I drove it one mile around town to test the transmission, brakes etc. and it seemed to have enough power (although I didn't take it above 20mph).  After shutting it off I noticed this sizzling (video below) and oil puddle dripping down the block.  Looks like a head gasket issue.

Question - if I pull the cylinder head off to replace the gasket, should I send it out for a valve job while it's off?  And while everything is apart, should I take the opportunity to replace the timing chain, lifters, rods...

Don't fix it if it ain't broke vs. preventive maintenance.Confused

Advice appreciated!

I'm wondering how far I should go - I don't think the engine has any other problems, though I have yet to check the compression.

Edited by NJCommando - Nov/29/2021 at 8:26pm
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2021 at 12:02pm
Yes. If you're doing all that labor, get a valve job done.
I replaced the head on my '74 a couple of years ago, and put new lifters in as well. (I know that in theory, a new cam and new lifters should be put in together, but I think for the driving I do, this will work fine.) I did put new rocker arms and pushrods in at the same time, so the whole upper end of the engine is new.

Timing chain and gears is a good idea too. If the engine runs fine, your cam could be fine. If you pull the lifters (special tool is helpful to reach them) you'll see if you have any uneven wear on the lifter bottom, and then you can check the lobes more closely.

Edited by ramblinrev - Nov/23/2021 at 12:05pm
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2021 at 12:10pm
Leaky valve cover is more common than a head gasket. When was the last time the cover was removed? Oil return holes can be plugged with old valve stem seal fragments not allowing oil to go down
NJCommando View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJCommando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2021 at 1:33pm
Ramblinrev - "If you're doing all that labor, get a valve job done."

Αwesome, thanks!

About the valve cover - I don't see any seepage around it.  I don't know the car's history other than it apparently sat for a few years.

So I have my work cut out for me...and I'm sure I'll find more. Smile
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2021 at 4:07pm
The driver side of the head has zero oil passages.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2021 at 7:58pm
That video wasn't well enough lite up to see much,  or long enough.

Was the engine just started ?   That could be a leaking manifold gasket.

You zoomed in so quick I couldn't see if we were looking at the runner of the intake manifold, or exhaust.
If the exhaust gasket was leaking, it'd appear like that if the engine was just started and still getting rid of moisture.
Or a leaking intake would look like that if it was running very rich,  with gas pooled in the bottom of the intake runner.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2021 at 8:07pm
The valve covers on these great engines are notorious leakers, especially in that '73 era.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
NJCommando View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJCommando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2021 at 8:55pm
I had started the engine several times before driving it and letting it run from cold start this hissing/burning wasn't apparent.  Only after driving it around a bit did leaks become apparent (carb is leaking gas, tiny radiator leak), I got some smoke in the cabin and parked it.  The area is pretty clean, not a lot of sludge.

I'll take a better picture when I get back next week.
Thanks all for the comments!  I'm in the right place for sure Smile
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2021 at 10:23pm
I wouldn't call that a head gasket issue.  Off the top of my head, I'm sure a few of those studs' holes penetrate through the the water jacket.  One of them may have become leaky.

Quite honestly, it's worth the effort to re-seal the intake and check the few studs that protrude from the head.  Full top end rebuild?  Probably not necessary.
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2021 at 3:06am
I think that is coolant steaming off, not oil burning off.

The original embossed steel head gaskets corrode away on engines that did not have their coolant changed regularly until one day it leaks.

I am almost certain that the exhaust manifold stud holes have a bottom to them and do not extend all the way into the coolant jacket. Coolant leaking around an exhaust manifold stud can be a result of inclusions, cracks, or corrosion of the head casting around the stud. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic