TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1972 amc javelin restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1972 amc javelin restoration
    Posted: May/13/2017 at 2:47pm
I figured I would finally start a restoration thread on my javelin I got in 2014. I have only done little things to the car in the last few years. I have begun almost a full restoration of the car in the last month. Found a bunch of secrets that were hiding under Bondo and fiberglass.

Edited by patrec - May/13/2017 at 3:05pm
patrec View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2017 at 2:49pm
I'm at the stage were I have gutted a lot of the interior and had the body blasted. I have been doing bodywork repairing rusted panels.

Edited by patrec - May/13/2017 at 2:59pm
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2017 at 6:25pm
Get 30 posts then put up some pics. Would like to follow your work. Best wishes with your Jav.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
patrec View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2017 at 8:19pm
Thanks Lakesideramblin,

After removing old paint and bondo I have found surprises both good and bad. I had my hands full the last few weeks working on the car. Others might have parted it out when they found out the issues. I just see it as a challenge that I'm committed to taking on. I'm sure I will be able to post pictures soon.
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2017 at 10:12pm
Glad you have a good project and find it a challenge to overcome.  Post pics when you can & good luck with the project.

I have worked on cars that had (believe it or not) bondo in a rust hole, an aluminum patch riveted over top of the bondo with more bondo on top of that patch and then a second metal patch riveted over top of that with more bondo.  A 66 Charger I worked on had bondo, a metal patch and more bondo that was almost 2 inches thick on the quarter panels.   
Thank You Mid-East Seaboard and the ever present rust issues on older cars!
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

patrec View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2017 at 10:17pm
Wow hassyfoto,

That sounds like my javelin minus the drywall screws holding the passenger side quarter panel on the body covered in bondo.
patrec View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2017 at 11:55pm
So much has been done to the car already its hard to show progress and explain without pictures, but I am going to make this a diary of sorts until I can post pictures. Along with helping a friend with an airstream restoration I have been making and installing patch panels for the car this week. I have been working on the drivers side wheel well and trunk and quarter panel areas.
patrec View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2021 at 2:06pm
Ha, Im reviving my old post on the car. Wow, how time flies. I haven't had the time or ambition to post on the board. I have been working on the car off and on over the years. Life has gotten in the way with other projects having priority over the car. Im hopefully a couple of weeks away from painting it. Just figured I would let anyone know who started checking this out that it is still being worked on. Not sure if I can post any pictures. I have a lot of them.
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2021 at 5:04pm
Just respond to 3 more posts to get 30.  Then you can post pics.  Would love to see it!
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
72AMX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2021 at 5:09pm
yeah reply away for your 30
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic