TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1971 Gremlin Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 24>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1971 Gremlin Project
    Posted: Apr/28/2011 at 7:30am
My new project was delivered yesterday - a 1971 Gremlin. I bought this car from AMCKIDD here on the forum, and it was just as he represented it. It's a very complete car, and pretty much all original. It's also a blue plate rust free california car. Not many options - rally stripe, 258, opening rear window, and interior appearance group (carpet, high back buckets and sport steering wheel). I'll be adding disc brakes, power steering, 14" wheels and changing the color to quicksilver metallic with the red interior, but it will other wise be a stock resto. I'm hoping to get started on in next month and get it painted by the end of summer and back on the road by May 2012... pretty ambitious, but this is a little car.

Edited by kirkwood - Jun/15/2011 at 10:13am
AMO Newsletter Editor
72Javelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2011 at 7:27pm
Phoo on the Grem, I'm diggin' that 69 Ambo in the background...
Jeff Reeves
Auburn, GA
AMO Technical Editor

Currently AMC-less after 30+ years
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2011 at 8:21pm
I went ahead and finished it up for you. Cool

1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
tbenvie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbenvie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2011 at 8:23pm
Nice find! Post some pictures of the glovebox as I am sure most people have never seen this type (There was an NOS setup at Chilsons a few years ago).

I do have the 71 stuff you are looking for, and haven't forgotten the poster request yet, either

70 seat backs are different than 71

I'll bet Joe SC360 is drooling over those door panels....
Thomas M. Benvie
rogue_66 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogue_66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2011 at 9:34pm
Good to see you back in the "member projects" sectionThumbs Up. Can't wait to see it when you get done with it!
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2011 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by tbenvie tbenvie wrote:

I'll bet Joe SC360 is drooling over those door panels....

Tom, before I even read your post I was loving those panels. I found one last year in red, NOS in the box. I sure wish it was green but to find any NOS 71 panels is like finding a lost treasure.

Ian, I have to say that I really like that Gremlin. If I could have afforded it I probably would have grabed it. I was even thinking about it when I bought his green 72 Hornet a few years ago. Great buy... I might even have some parts for that car...
AmcKidd View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmcKidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2011 at 10:09pm
glad to see it made it!  (its even STILL dirty) LOL
please remember- it spent its life up here in DRY hot northern california- be VERY careful of anything plastic!
Oroville, Ca
AmcKidd View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmcKidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2011 at 10:16pm
BTW- the procedure for taking possesion of a car from me is as follows (ask billd)  put car in enclosed trailer, shop, garage ETC- toss in a couple bug bombs and close door- leave for a day-   there WILL be big hairy spiders, and bees in it somewhere !! LOL
Oroville, Ca
DocCreer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocCreer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2011 at 10:25pm
Cool...i love Gremlins..looks just like tinman's car.
61 American
82 eagle limited
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2011 at 10:27pm

ROFLMAO!! NO #@$% dude!

Man, I was under that car (not jacked up, either) and taking the springs loose, heard a noise, and there just 2" from my NOSE was a nice wasp nest, active! I was so close I could see the whites of their eyes.
That creeper would have made 12s at Cordova, I swear!
Wasps, spiders, you name it, it made the trip just fine!  ;-)  In fact, I removed about 6 mud-wasp nests while under the car this past winter doing the drivetrain install.
bug bombs? Make sure they are about 10 megaton...........
He was really kind on the deal - he didn't charge me a thing for the "pets" - they came free.

The car was EXACTLY as described, rust-free beyond belief. Dennis went out of his way to make it simple, even handling DMV issues at his end. Title transfer was all handled, everything in order. If you want one of his cars, he's as easy to work with as they come, and the car WILL be as described.
Too true - all plastic was totally worthless, brittle, gone, shot, whatever. But the metal was solid! That's all I really cared about.  I knew ahead of time on the plastic bits, sun fading, etc. as he furnished good photos and descriptions.

Hey, kidd - the Eagle is about to make it's return to the roads in a couple of days. Interior won't be done, and some stuff to tweak - but the 4.0 run s great, transmission shifts nice and smooth, seats are brand new, carpet is nearly finished, and the dash all nicely redone.  When done, the interior will look show-room fresh.  What a pleasure working on a car where ALL the bolts come loose, no need for cans of stuff to soak bolts and nuts.

Well, kirkwood - that's going to be a cool project, and I'm sure like all your others, one to drool over when you get done. Great interior on that thing - love those "glove-boxes"

Edited by billd - Apr/29/2011 at 7:31am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 24>
  Share Topic